+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    On the "but don't have one" thing... people in a cult don't say it's a cult though. So a person with a thermomix isn't going to describe it as being in a cult.

I don't have one, and wouldn't say having one makes you part of a cult, but I understand the meaning behind it- you have to get it at an 'event', it's not in shops. To a lot of people (not everyone) that makes them suspicious,

Cult is harsh though- I have seen what a true cult can do, and I would never take the term lightly.

ETA: I'm pretty sure most mean it in relation to 'cult following', like when they talk about tv shows etc.
    Last edited by DT75; 14-03-2017 at 13:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Feed them the buttermilk scones....I'd buy it again just for those! Yum.

Then again don't- they sound like idiots and don't deserve them. Some people just love to put others down-jealousy probably.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix "cult"

I think Vorwerk perpetuated the "cult" idea by selling the Thermomix via a MLM scheme. They wanted it to be a closed shop and from the outside, like most MLM's, it can come across as cultish. If you could walk into a shop and buy it, I think the perception would be very different. Their selling method is one of the reasons I won't buy one. Although the other is that I love my Bellini, but I don't use it enough to justify paying 4x the price of what I paid for it to buy a thermo. It can be a handy way to cook though and if I had allergies in the family I can see the appeal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn400 For This Useful Post:

DT75  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I think for the most part the issue is with the marketing, rather than the device itself. I think many people are bugged by products that are sold at "parties". For me Tupperware is a bit like Thermie....an overpriced product that isn't much better than other products available elsewhere for a quarter the price (although, to be fair, I don't think Thermomix has been match *yet). I think the cult remark is more to do with people feeling others may have been conned by the marketing in the same way a cult leader cons his subjects.
    Not something I would ever say to anyone (wish I had 2k spare for a great kitchen device !) but my thoughts on the background of people's comments....they are probably jealous!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

DT75  (15-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a bit different to tupperware etc. There are no host rewards for guests purchasing thermomixes. I only invited people who I knew wanted to see one to mine (I needed to convince hubby), and everyone bought one 😂 I did get a host reward, but it had nothing to do with the sales from my guests. I don't like the pressure of Tupperware style parties where you feel like you need to buy something to help the host.
    I think it could feel 'cult like' if you went to the cooking classes etc. I have never contacted my consultant ever again. Had my demo, got my thermomix delivered and parted ways. I just wasn't interested in getting fully involved in it...but I wouldn't go to a cooking class of any kind as it's just not my thing. Given it's such an investment it's probably a good thing that that level of customer service is there for those who want/need it.
    Now apparently Vorwex has a vacuum that mops as well. I am keen to see that in action 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also didn't feel any pressure to buy, I went to a demo without pressure and I didn't buy for another year or so. I didn't buy at a party just via the consultant and she hasn't contacted me to buy more since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I didn't feel any pressure to buy either. My mum was interested in buying one and had a demo mainly just for herself. There were only 3 of us there in total so it's not like typical selling parties where you invite heaps of people and they feel pressure to buy. I ended up getting one about a year later because I wanted to go sugar free due to health issues and it's been such a great investment. I don't get the hate, I couldn't care less what other people have in their kitchens. Also like others I never contacted my consultant again and she never contacted me and pressured me either. All around great transaction and customer service from my perspective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    It's a bit different to tupperware etc. There are no host rewards for guests purchasing thermomixes. I only invited people who I knew wanted to see one to mine (I needed to convince hubby), and everyone bought one ������ I did get a host reward, but it had nothing to do with the sales from my guests. I don't like the pressure of Tupperware style parties where you feel like you need to buy something to help the host.
    I think it could feel 'cult like' if you went to the cooking classes etc. I have never contacted my consultant ever again. Had my demo, got my thermomix delivered and parted ways. I just wasn't interested in getting fully involved in it...but I wouldn't go to a cooking class of any kind as it's just not my thing. Given it's such an investment it's probably a good thing that that level of customer service is there for those who want/need it.
    Now apparently Vorwex has a vacuum that mops as well. I am keen to see that in action ������
    See, I didn't know the host got a reward anyway, regardless of purchases- that's great.
    However, it doesn't change the fact that it can only be bought the same way as tupperware- that is the issue I feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding is that the reason they chose to do direct selling was because they worried that without the support of knowing their customers and being there to demonstrate them, they wouldn't sell as well. I think the risk of someone buying one off the shelf and then not using it much would give them a bad name, whereas they like to provide customers with as much support as they want/need in order to get their money's worth.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (15-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I find it interesting that no one batts an eyelid when the find out that we have a boat sitting in the shed, that cost us $3k - and has been used once since we got it three months ago. I've had my $2k blender for years and have used it many times a day, most days, since I got it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (14-03-2017)