+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix "cult"

Fun chat not intended to start a thermomix debate/war lol

I've had a thermomix for a year and it always irks me when someone says I'm part of a cult now. I had a demo purely to get the server and told everyone don't feel pressured to buy one I know it's not for everyone and I'm not the type to get snobby but if someone mentions thermomix I'm happy to say I've had no problems and to state what recipes don't work for us.

So wondering if anyone has a great comeback to the haters/misinformed ect that state I'm in a cult. This particular person said it at least 5 times in the space of a few minutes. Their partner had been to a demo and was thinking about purchasing one but decided against it. I just laughed it off and couldn't think of any comeback but it got me a bit peeved considering they don't even have one.

But like I said I don't want to turn this into a nasty thread. Some like it some don't but to those who put others down for what they buy hit me with a comeback .....the more sarcastic the better lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't had anyone say it to me IRL, but have a few times online, usually by people who don't have one. I tend to ignore it and not let it bother me. I'd be a bad cult member anyway. I don't use it every day, if I have a recipe that uses meat, I cook it on the stove after a few undercooked disasters (bolognaise sauce for lasagne is the exception) and don't make everything from scratch daily.

People say it to get you to bite. Just ignore it and change the subject would be my advice. Either that or feed them a meal made by thermie and then tell them they are part of the cult now too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just agree with them. I've had mine for 5 years now and only ever had one person really want to insist I was part of a cult so I just agreed with her eg. She was telling me how I joined a cult for a $2000 risotto maker so I just said that yes, I did ans that we just eat a different kind of risotto every night because I have to get my money's worth, told her my pantry cupboard was full of aborio rice, and that I just add different meats and vegies each night. She just looked like a bit of an idiot in the end, but really, I don't care if that's what she thinks about thermomix's. I love mine and I'm the one cooking in my house.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Californication  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sometimes think those kinds of comments come from a place of jealousy, either that they want a Thermomix, or just general jealousy that they don't have the money to buy a big ticket item that they might consider to be a "luxury". I don't have a thermo, I have a Bellini, but am on heaps of different TMX FB pages so can see how they really change people's lives, particularly those with food allergies or kids who don't tolerate certain additives to food. So I don't really have any advice on a response for them but I don't think it's an attack on you but rather a reflection of their own feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a thermomix (have a thermochef) but internally roll my eyes at the cult comments.

The media does not help by calling it a cult all the time.

I think thermal cookers are absolutely awesome. I use mine at the least every 2nd day. With 2 kids sometimes just minimal prep and throwing it in without having to stir is the only way to get dinner on the table.

Eta. As to how I would react - I have confrontation so generally ignore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had my thermomix for a number of years. I initially got comments. Whatever the derision was, my reply was - 'and I'm and peace with that' with a smile (eg - you've bought a $2000 blender etc). Shuts them up

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had any negative comments in my 4 years of thermie cult membership...but I'm planning to offer to make them a batch of the "kool-aid" next time I make some!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or start offering to email them links to recipes for making toilet paper and nappies from scratch in my Thermomix ha ha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I'll stew on it for a couple of days then get over it lol but if it's mentioned again think I'll just state "im sorry I didn't realise it affects your life so much" see what the response is then Cuz seriously it doesn't so why make snide comments like that.

I'd also mention I too would be the worse cult member, there are some days I don't use thermi n have sausages in bread ๐Ÿ™Šit'd live to have a risotto come back like that (i never had risotto before my thermi days n I now live it) I started off with a bellini and glad I started off there before making the plunge (start of last year we quit sugar n thermi has been a godsend not just in converting but $$$$. Media plays a big part esp wen they had the exploding episodes all over TV....got a tad annoyed when people would say mines dangerous. I hate confrontation too but do have my moments lol omg nappies in the thermomix that's a good one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I just agree with them. I've had mine for 5 years now and only ever had one person really want to insist I was part of a cult so I just agreed with her eg. She was telling me how I joined a cult for a $2000 risotto maker so I just said that yes, I did ans that we just eat a different kind of risotto every night because I have to get my money's worth, told her my pantry cupboard was full of aborio rice, and that I just add different meats and vegies each night. She just looked like a bit of an idiot in the end, but really, I don't care if that's what she thinks about thermomix's. I love mine and I'm the one cooking in my house.
    This. Is. Gold.