+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My c-section recovery was a breeze, I had heard so many horror stories and was expecting it to be really hard but it wasn't.
    DS was born just before midday and I was up and out of bed (with assistance) in the shower at 5pm.

Take the pain meds they offer you, and you will be fine. I think it's really important to be up and on your feet asap.

I was very well rested as my OB gave me a sleeping tablet to have the night before.

Also, once home the SRC recovery shorts really helped me. (They are expensive but you can claim part of the amount back on insurance and they resell well on eBay).

Good luck!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    * try to get a spinal block not an epidural of you can. It seems to be an easier recovery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was expecting to be pretty much incapacitated after needing a c-section for my breech bub. She had her feet up around her ears so my scar is a bit longer than usual since she was presenting quite awkwardly and it took about 45 mins in theatre. However, as soon as I started getting feeling back in my legs I was wiggling my toes and flexing leg muscles, and I was up showering independently standing only 4 hours after the birth. I wasn't allowed to have my catheter out until the next morning but I could still move around with it.

My Ob did some kind of internal stitching so I didn't end up with any stitches or staples to be removed. I was in hospital for 5 days as per their standard process, but could have happily gone home by day 3. Pain wise I was fine, but just kept up the meds and followed the recommended timelines once we got home.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbletrouble For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved my elective c section birth ... a breeze in comparison to my vaginal birth and recovery was straightforward. I found it not so much painful afterwards but more of a stiffness. Keeping on top of pain mess was key for me and just taking it easy. I was driving within 2 weeks and just not doing any crazy movements or heavy lifting which was fine by me would go again in a heartbeat!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazzyj For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017),Simil  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Elective c section recovery

I had 3 elective c/s with my last 3 daughters. Recovery was surprisingly quite easy. I was up and walking and showered within 2-4 hours with all 3 of mine and driving within a few days, actually drove myself to get my stitches out with DD2. My OBGYN recommends for a faster recovery, hop up and move as soon as the spinal wears off.
    Everyone recovers differently, I hope you have an smooth recovery!
    Last edited by BabyG4; 13-03-2017 at 11:07.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Is there a reason your opting for c-sec this time round rather then a vaginal birth
    Is there a reason why this information is important? The OP was questioning recovery not whether she should have one or not...

In the end the reason is either that it is medically necessary or her personal choice... Neither which have any bearing on the recovery time from the procedure.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017),HillDweller  (13-03-2017),kylie764  (13-03-2017),Simil  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I have had two emergency c-sections and recovery was not too bad. Obviously I can't compare to a vaginal birth but my first I was a little sore for maybe 3 days but by the end of the week I felt back to normal... Obviously everyone is different and recovers in different ways.

I am scheduled for an elective next week - best of luck for yours...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Elective c section recovery

I had an elective c-section (happened to be in labour when they did it, but only early stages and I was already booked for a c-section anyway). My recovery was awesome. Out of bed the next morning having a shower (had my baby at 11pm the night before), day 2 DH and I walked down to the hospital cafe with no issues, by the time I got home I took pain killers for one day and didn't need them afterwards. I would say I was 'recovered' as in, I felt like I could do anything I used to do but didn't do any lifting in case I damaged myself, after 2 weeks. I know several people who have had that exact same experience. Then I know people who have taken much longer to recover, so I guess it just depends!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine was an emergency c-section after a long labour, and whilst I had to be careful, I was feeling good pretty quickly. Up and showering about 14 hours later (probably could have been sooner but it was 6am and the midwife came in and offered to sit with bub so I could shower), and walking down to the cafeteria later that day. I just took it easy and took the pain meds as they were offered. I was home just over 48 hours after birth. My scar felt a bit tight for a few months but that was so mild, and no other pains after the first week or so.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 c sections. The first was horrific. I had an epidural which didn't wear off for almost 36 hours I was numb from the armpits down. When I was finally able to get out of bed my legs and feet were so swollen I couldn't support myself. I couldn't get in and out of bed without assistance for almost a month. I slept in a recliner! I was in excruciating pain for almost 5 weeks. It was around 7-8 months before I felt normal.

My second was a completely different experience. I had a spinal block which wore off within 2 hours. I wasn't allowed up for 24 hours but had a compression machine on my legs so no swelling. Within 72 hours I was down to panadol only. Within 2 months I felt pretty normal. That said at 7 months post partum I'm having many problems with core strength.

I was 39 the first time, 43 the second one.

The reality is you just don't know what your recovery will be like. Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)