+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective c section recovery

Hi all, I'm after your elective c section recovery experiences.
    I am booked in to have a c section in 4 weeks. I had my Ds vaginally.
    I've been walking around so sore these past couple of days (back, feet etc) and just thought how nice it will be not to have the aches and pains when baby is out. Then I remembered I would probably still be sore so thought I'd ask how you found your recovery.
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is there a reason your opting for c-sec this time round rather then a vaginal birth.

I've had both and by far I'll take vaginal any day.

So DS2 was born last July with a scheduled c-sec on stand by for emergency. I had grade 4 PP and at 36 wks growth on bub had stopped and there was a massive clot in the placenta. Hence stand by for emergency.

Recovery wise it is not 6 weeks like they tell you. My ob is straight up and will tell you 6-12months.

Ds was born at 626pm in 3 minute flat. So fast for c-sec. My body went into shock and i started to bleed out (1mm off haemorrhaging) but my ob stopped it just in time. Brilliant man he is. I was in recovery for just over an hour then up to my room with every machine hooked up to you could imagjne. 3pm the next day I had my catheter removed and was allowed but also helped by 2 midwives to get out of bed. My first stop was the loo and a nice hot shower sitting in a chair like an old person while they washed me down.

Sitting up in bed I found to be the hardest and to get out of bed to go to the loo as your muscles are sliced in half. The next day again I was in the shower and I collapsed in the floor, blood pressure down to 90/45. Very low and they don't know why so that night I had a midwife in with me all night.

I struggled obviously and needed help to get ds out of his crib but by day 3 I was able to do this a bit better.

I went home after 5 nights. To so much more help then what I bargained for.

You can hold anything heavier then your baby. No housework, driving for at least 6 weeks. Your insurance will not cover you so remember that.

I'm very lucky that I had family and friends around to help me around the house each day and bring meals etc even though I had made enough for about a month of all different types of food.

I started exercising after 10 weeks as in more athletic but walking up and down the street or my local shops was done with my mum. Or a walk up to school on the odd occasion if the weather was nice to get DS1 from school if crappy weather a friend or my dad would do it for me, same goes for drop off.

8 months later I'm still having a lot of pain to the point I'm having a laporoscopy next month to see what is going on and see what damage there was to my uterus.

I definately have the mum Tum and crab with both hands for a wobble this time round. DS1 I snapped straight back within a week to a nice flat tummy

Everyone's recovery is completely different though you have to remember that. Some have it easier then others and mine definately hasn't been easy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I didn't have an elective ceasar, I was in labour 20hours and then had an emergency ceasar. I was sore afterwards but still felt 100% better than I had for the weeks before. I still had some back aches and pains but it was really nothing compared with before the baby was born even with the sleeplessness etc of a new baby... I'm also an old girl lol... Good luck!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017),Simil  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had an emergency C... no issues...driving within a fortnight ( all insurance companies are different, check your policy) no ongoing aches or pains due to the section and I was 42. Everyone's different I guess. I'm having another section w/ this baby and quite happy to. First 3 days are the hardest but keep up the suggested medication and you will need help at home for the first week but really I didn't find it all that bad.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Deskar  (12-03-2017),Em9  (13-03-2017),Simil  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Snap @emski72, my recovery was much the same, same age as well...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my elective c section at 34 weeks . It was super easy and Bub was healthy at 5lbs 15. I drove 7 days later and had no issues. I up and showering and walking 12 hours later once catheter and drip out. It was far better than my vaginal birth of my son

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm with Louise. I had vaginal with my DD and was the worst experience of my life. I had elective c section with my DS and without a doubt it was the best decision of my life. Recovered so well, had DS at 8:30am and was up and showering that evening. 10 days later I was driving. If I was ever going to have another baby then that is the way I would go again!

Good luck with everything xo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mona424 For This Useful Post:

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a c - section at 37 + 5 with my twins. I was 37 years old.
    i found the recovery pretty easy, but everyone is different. I was up the next morning and showering after a 3pm birth. I basically only had panadol for relief after the morphine ran out after surgery. I stayed in hospital for 5 days.
    i was driving within 2 weeks and pretty much doing most things about the house except carrying heavy things. Was out walking with a double pram at about 3 weeks.
    Hope this helps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babycake For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Elective c section recovery

I had an elective with DS at 38.5weeks (I was 39) and it was surprising easy! I had heard horror stories from others but I was up the next morning no problem, I was expecting horrific pain when I first got up but honestly it was nothing bad at all, by day 2 I was bored and was easily walking around the hospital, I was only on panadol by the time I left hospital and the only thing I couldn't really do for a few weeks was stretch up to hang clothes on the line but I totally recovered by 6 weeks so everyone is obviously different but mine was a really positive experience , good luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose an elective c section for DD1. I was 38. Yes the first 24 hrs is tough, but was up showering by the next day. By day 3 was walking around the hospital. I was driving by 2 weeks and had no help from then on. From 6 weeks I was out walking the pram each evening for an hour during witching hour. There is still a little numb areas around the scar. Dd2 is arriving in 5 months and will be having another elective c section. I will be 41.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (13-03-2017)