+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Share the recipe @JustJaq? I don't eat much meat but generally make beef lasagne, I do non-meat canneloni and stuffed pasta shells but have never made vege lasagne!
    I think my signature dishes are sweets - my New York baked cheesecake, profiteroles, chocolate pavlova, Black Forest cake, white chocolate mud cake all get requested!
    Yum! With those sweets, I reckon we could be good friends, @gingermillie!

I don't really have a recipe for my vege lasagna - it's just a bit of this and a bit of that But as you were so kind to share your vege sausage rolls recipe a while back (which I am really keen to try to make!) I'll give a bit of a run down.

Firstly, make a tomato sauce.

To do this, I fry off some onion and capsicum, then add garlic, and tinned tomatoes (usually about 3 tins), or chopped fresh tomatoes if I'm really keen. I add a bay leaf or two, salt and pepper. Oregano and basil, fresh if possible, then let it simmer on a low heat for a while to let the bay leaves enrich the flavour. Sometimes a dash of red wine. Capsicum and onion should be nice and soft at the end.

Next, I usually make a spinach mix. This is usually fresh silverbeet or spinach (at a least a bunch), but sometimes frozen. If fresh, I wash thoroughly, then put in a saucepan with a bit of oil over a low heat with a bit more garlic, until it's wilted down to a manageable size. If frozen, I just defrost it in a saucepan with a bit of garlic. I squeeze the water out so it's not too wet. Sometimes I'll then add some cheese in with this - ricotta and feta both work well.

Then, a cheese sauce - it's just the usual sort of cheese sauce recipe - butter and flour roux, milk, stir over low heat, add cheese at the end. Sometimes I add parmesan cheese to this too, as well as salt and pepper.

I also tidily slice up mushroom and zucchini, so you can lay them out in tidy rows in the lasagna. Other veges could be used here too if you like - eg pre-cooked sweet potato or eggplant, etc would probably also work well.

Now, it's ready to be assembled!

First, get the bay leaves out of the sauce! Learned that lesson before! Then spread a bit less than half of the tomato sauce mixture on the bottom of your lasagna pan. I then just use supermarket lasagna sheets, and put a layer over the top of the sauce. Then I put in the spinach mixture. Then another layer of lasagna sheets. Then I tidily lay out rows of the zucchini and mushrooms, then spoon the rest of the tomato mixture over the top of the veges (they soak up the tomato sauce flavours).

I then put on another layer of lasagna sheets, then spread the cheese sauce over the top. Then top liberally with grated cheese, and bake! Usually takes about 45-60 min to bake.

I think that's about it - but let me know if you have any questions.

Yum! I think ours is nearly ready now!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-03-2017),gingermillie  (11-03-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (11-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @JustJaq - does your vege lasagne freeze well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    @JustJaq - does your vege lasagne freeze well?
    It freezes ok, but it's much better fresh. The veges ice up a bit, and when its defrosted there can be a bit of extra liquid.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (11-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of these things sound delicious!