+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Playdoh, collages, those paint with water books. It's a hard transition for them to adjust to no naps. I found a long bath was helpful...and 6pm bed times when they were super feral. If they fell asleep they got half an hour and then I'd wake them. They'd be clingy and upset for the next half an hour but that was life.
    One of my kids stopped napping at 18 months. They weren't ready but they refused to sleep. They were really hard work of an afternoon. It's something all parents endure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

misho  (11-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do I deal with being silly with activities (if not tantrumming) because he's overtired?

Like playdoh had to be taken away this afternoon as he wouldn't stop trying to put it in his ear. He doesn't normally do that with playdoh, so he was obviously being silly because he's overtired.

So then we had to move on to something else which ended in a tantrum etc etc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to allatsea For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    And now he's decided he's going to start falling asleep at 3.30pm, after refusing to nap all afternoon. 3.30pm is way too late, that is when we used to get him up from his nap. Will be up till midnight if we let him sleep then. ARGH!!!!!!!!! Why is everything so impossible?
    It's not impossible, you just gotta go with the flow. Be thankful it's happened on a weekend so that if he goes to bed at 9pm, you don't have to work tomorrow.

At least you now get a break from your pocket rocket!!

Enjoy the downtime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    How do I deal with being silly with activities (if not tantrumming) because he's overtired?

Like playdoh had to be taken away this afternoon as he wouldn't stop trying to put it in his ear. He doesn't normally do that with playdoh, so he was obviously being silly because he's overtired.

So then we had to move on to something else which ended in a tantrum etc etc
    Sorry meant to quote not thank - my dd does that all the time, and she knows if she gets a reaction to keep doing it to get a reaction When they're doing something you don't want them to do for a legitimate reason- dangerous, breaking something, making unreasonable mess or something not allowed like drawing on furniture - it's a good opportunity to calmly say 'play doh is not for X it's for playing like this (show the behaviour you want). If you do that again I'll have to take the play doh away' then divert attention away by getting all excited about something else you can do with it 'oh wow ds look how we can cut the play doh isn't this fun yay'. If he does the wrong thing again then just say 'I told you that if you did X then play doh would be put away. I'm putting it away now'. But being silly, experimenting, pushing boundaries etc is normal and he doesn't realize play doh shouldn't go in his ears either.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you rejoined BubHub under a new user name allatsea? Your posts sound very similar to a previous BubHub member...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-03-2017),LittleBug'sMum  (11-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Afternoons are always dealing with overtired DS. I just let him go a bit crazy (within reason). Let him have a long bath. It is not the time for books, drawing etc etc. Blocks work - with lots of crashing. And cars - with lots of crashing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be working on lots of outside play running around in sprinkler, trampoline if you can fit one, etc to tire him out in morning and trying to get a nap back in if he's struggling without. Long sleeved appropriate shirt, wide brimmed hat, spray sunscreen where needed. Surely if it's only a small area of him to be sunscreened it could be done even if it's not perfect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We have the same issue at that time of day, we do however have the Tv on because we have it on all day for background noise, the kids barely watch it.

I try not to bring out activities at that time of day, it never ends well, Dd spent most of this afternoon playing on the trampoline, doing laps of the house, putting her dolls in her pram and pushing them around l, tried using a skipping rope, she did a bit of dancing....just to name a few!

Sometimes it's just easier to let them go for it. Last weekend we put a bunch of blankets on our dining table, chucked the pillows in there and some toys and books and my kids were entertained for hours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Afternoons are always dealing with overtired DS. I just let him go a bit crazy (within reason). Let him have a long bath. It is not the time for books, drawing etc etc. Blocks work - with lots of crashing. And cars - with lots of crashing.
    Agree it is not the time for books/craft etc- anything they can't be silly with.

4 o'clock is turd o'clock here. And wine time for mummy.

(And my dd1 still naps most days. Young children just seem to go feral at that time regardless 😋)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Maxdreamer  (12-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely outside. My kids were toddlers in Pilbara WA, FNQ and the NT...We were outside every afternoon from 3.30/4pm even if it had be extremely hot in the day. We would go mental otherwise. Lots of water play, paddle pool, sprinkler under the trampoline or one of the billion water play toys available. Wide brimmed hat, long rashie a spray of sunscreen on the legs. I often used zinc on the face...every toddler wants to have tiger stripes!
    If not in the yard it was a ride on the trike, play at the park or play anywhere outside!!!
    Staying indoors was a disaster in my house