+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    (Sorry for the thread derail)

Out of curiosity, what action would you have liked taken earlier? I have PCO with irregular cycles, but no IR and was always lean so no PCOS diagnosis. I expect my DD will have a high likelihood of it since my mum and sis also have it, so wondering if there is something that can be done early on to help.

I've been trying to find info for treatments in general but everything I read relates to fertility, not solutions that generally improve quality of life, so definitely keen to know what options are out there.
    Just knowing about it so I could make the appropriate lifestyle changes and manage it better. Going 10 years undiagnosed was not fun, involved a lot of pain and blood

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (12-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First menstruation

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    (Sorry for the thread derail)

I've been trying to find info for treatments in general but everything I read relates to fertility, not solutions that generally improve quality of life, so definitely keen to know what options are out there.
    I don't think there is anything you can actually do to treat pcos, I'm overweight and am always told lose weight, eat healthy, exercise, get enough sleep.
    My period is regular, so I think that mine is probably not that bad, I found out I had it when it took me 2yrs to get pregnant with my second child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default First menstruation

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I don't think there is anything you can actually do to treat pcos, I'm overweight and am always told lose weight, eat healthy, exercise, get enough sleep.
    My period is regular, so I think that mine is probably not that bad, I found out I had it when it took me 2yrs to get pregnant with my second child.
    I actually disagree with this. PCOS is a prediabetic state so there are lots of meds both prescription and over the counter/herbal which can be of huge benefit. There is metformin and vitex etc. The low GI diet has been shown to be helpful in those with pcos. And there are other steps such as ovarian drilling etc which is helpful for some PCOS patients. Please don't think there is nothing you can do to manage it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    I actually disagree with this. PCOS is a prediabetic state so there are lots of meds both prescription and over the counter/herbal which can be of huge benefit. There is metformin and vitex etc. The low GI diet has been shown to be helpful in those with pcos. And there are other steps such as ovarian drilling etc which is helpful for some PCOS patients. Please don't think there is nothing you can do to manage it.
    I must say I feel like mine is not as bad as others, so there is probably a difference with how severe it is. So I may be wrong but the only thing drs have told me is generally to lose weight, I was on metformin for only 3mths though so I don't know that it did anything for me. I generally just feel helpless as all I get told is lose weight and that's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I must say I feel like mine is not as bad as others, so there is probably a difference with how severe it is. So I may be wrong but the only thing drs have told me is generally to lose weight, I was on metformin for only 3mths though so I don't know that it did anything for me. I generally just feel helpless as all I get told is lose weight and that's it.
    Except for once in my 20s (working 80hr weeks at s desk job) and after each pregnancy, I've always been lean. I do find it hard to lose weight once it is on and Yasmin pill has helped with this. My weight also makes no difference to my periods/skin/hirsutism. I test my blood sugars (fasting and 2 hours after a carby meal about once a month since having my 2nd bub, with whom I had gestational diabetes) and my levels are awesomely perfect, plus I've had two GTT since having him, so no prediabetes/IR here yet, so I'm assuming a diabetes drug won't help regulate my periods. I've tried low GI and it's a great way of eating, I've also tried the "PCOS diet" but neither help regulate my periods/reduce ovulation pain.

For someone like me, the only "solution" seeming to be offered is the pill. But as I said previously, so much of the info I've been able to lay my hands on relate to improving fertility, which will NOT apply to my DD when she starts mensuration, nor does it apply to me anymore.

I've also heard recommendations against vitex for PCO/S but can't remember why off the top of my head.