+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Exclamation Advice on fringe/bangs needed

Hi DD announced she wants a fringe after years of me trying to get her one she finally wants one.

Little background first. She has very slow growing hair. Not cut once except to tidy it up at 2 yrs old and then is was only one centimetre. And those were the straggly bits hanging down but some were way past the other hair by 3-4cm looking very straggly. But only a few strands.

She is now almost 6yrs old and it's only to the middle of her back near shoulder blades with no more hair cuts. There is short bits in amongst the hair that has only just managed to get into the ponytail. Some do not reach and even in pigtails they do not reach. I'm a miracle worker with her hair. French plait in pigtails is doable although very hard. One singular French plait down the centre is out of the question most of the hair that is still short will not reach. Most times I part the hair into 3's tie up the three at the front then put those into one ponytail at the back. Left hand front bit into a hairband, middle front into a hairband and right hand front bit into a hairband. Then join together into the hair at the back for a ponytail if you get what I mean. Her hair is fine too!

So do I agree to a fringe or bangs (American terminology)? What do you suggest with what type of fringe to get with a girl with thin slow growing hair? Should I say no. Oh gosh. I don't want her to get this and then hate it cause it could be another 5yrs to grow it towards a ponytail to pin it back.

Poor thing wants hair like rapunzel.

Any feed back welcomed, help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Personally I wouldn't. My DD is growing her hair out after having chemo (treatment finished last year), and her hair is slow growing. I haven't even considered letting her have a fringe, they're a lot of maintenance and I don't personally think they look all that good.
    With such slow growing hair it would be a nightmare if she changed her mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First I'm sorry about your dd. I hope she is getting better!

My problem is trivial in comparison.

We got a fringe. It looks odd to me dd likes it. It's a thin longish fringe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh I was going to say don't do it! My DDs have thin slow growing hair. I've been growing their fringe out for 6m and I still can't tie it back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to say the opposite and let her have a fringe. My niece has slow growing fine hair (our mums side). It took a few years of growing then she finally let me take her to get a trim, well it was an inch. It was getting unhealthy looking with a lot of slit ends etc. And after that her started to thicken up. My sister also uses a shampoo designed for fine hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But I do think she needs more trims . As babybeeno said itvkeeps it healthy and it grows a bit better

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 year old was so cranky when I got my fringe cut back last year and wouldn't let her get one too(after I let mine grow out for a few years then deciding I hate my forehead). We also did one on my 2 year old so she was the only one without. I finally gave in a few months later when she was adamant she wanted one so it is a super fine one and it looks great. Probably due for another trim now though to keep it out of her eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    But I do think she needs more trims . As babybeeno said itvkeeps it healthy and it grows a bit better
    Yes, more trims equals healthier hair. My niece goes every 3 months now and it's so much thicker compared to what it she was a couple years ago. She is 8 this year