+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Caesar or vaginal?

Hi ladies. Sorry if this question has been asked before. I am looking for any experiences and recommendations from women who have had both a Caesar and a vaginal birth. I would like to hear what your experience was and which way you felt was better. From the actual procedure/experience to the aftermath/healing etc. I have had 2 natural deliveries but had 3rd degree tearing with both. The first was on my back and second was standing up and was a much worse tear (I had to go to theatre). My midwife and doctor have said that a Caesar is now an option but they can not recommend me either way. My doc has said if I decide to go natural he will assess me during labour and cut if he feels I am going to tear again but can't guarantee it will totally prevent any tearing from happening. I had good recovery from both tears and didn't feel they were traumatic at the time. Although I definitely knew I was tearing second time round. I am trying to decide which way to go. At present I am leaning towards natural again with trying some techniques to reduce risk of tearing - perineal massages md stretchin, giving birth on my side (apparently that is best) etc. but I would love some feedback to help me make my final decision. Thank you for reading and helping me make the right decision for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing to reply later.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Caesar or vaginal?

Hi I've had both a vaginal birth and now 2 cesarean births. Hands down would have a vaginal birth as a preferences (tried for a VBAC but it failed).

I had a tear from my vaginal birth, I didn't require surgery but did have stitches. It was almost 22 years ago now so can't remember what degree tear it was sorry.

My recovery from the vaginal birth was so much faster and easier. After a cesarean you can't lift anything heavier than your baby and only from waist height for 6 weeks. You may or may not be precluded from driving for the same period - depends on your pain levels. In my experience it takes a lot longer than 6 weeks to recover. For me it took nearly 6 months the first time, second time has been a little better and I felt back to myself around 4-5 months post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I have had both and I have to say natural is my preference.
    I have however not had any major tearing, only minor grazing with my first.
    My second was an elective C-section for a breach baby. I actually wanted to try have him naturally but DH's mother had a baby die in childbirth and convinced me to have the section.

Been awake while they cut me open totally freaked me out. I did not expect to feel it like I did. It didn't hurt but I could feel it and was a really bizarre feeling. It doesn't help that I am needle phobic and that spinal block needle is up there with the worst needles I have ever had.

As a C-section is major surgery there is a lot of pain straight after and you have to cope with that whilst bonding with your baby and trying to establish breastfeeding. You have drips and drains in you which do not help either.

My milk took about 5 days to come in so my bub was starving so I had to give him formular in the hospital. I did however go on to successfully feed him for 2 1/2 years. My baby and I were separated after birth while I went to recovery but I think many hospitals these days keep mums and bubs together.

I found my Recovery time post op very hard as you can't lift anything heavier than your baby or drive a car. Very hard when you have other kids to deal with. It was so much easier after my vaginal births I was able to function normally straight away afterwards.

I hated the section so much that I fought very hard for VBAC's with my following two babies. I wanted them to totally knock me out if I had to have a section again lol. I also did a lot of breathing technics during the vaginal births that I learnt in pregnancy yoga and did perianal massage. I believed this is what prevented me from tearing.

Good luck with your decision as Dr have said only you can decide, for me there is no decision I would have a vaginal birth any day over a c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Hi I've had both a vaginal birth and now 2 cesarean births. Hands down would have a vaginal birth as a preferences (tried for a VBAC but it failed).

I had a tear from my vaginal birth, I didn't require surgery but did have stitches. It was almost 22 years ago now so can't remember what degree tear it was sorry.

My recovery from the vaginal birth was so much faster and easier. After a cesarean you can't lift anything heavier than your baby and only from waist height for 6 weeks. You may or may not be precluded from driving for the same period - depends on your pain levels. In my experience it takes a lot longer than 6 weeks to recover. For me it took nearly 6 months the first time, second time has been a little better and I felt back to myself around 4-5 months post.
    My recovery also took a lot longer than 6 weeks. Like you around 5-6 months. My scar also hurt for a lot longer than this and even years later occasionally hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first birth nearly 10 years ago. It was a straight forward vaginal with only the gas. I started to tear so my ob cut me instead. Didn't feel a thing intact had no idea she was doing it. Recovery was super fast. Up and out of bed 10hours later had a nice hot shower where I didn't need anyone to help me. I could easily move around and feed my baby and not need help to sit up etc. less painkillers to block your bowls up aswell. Driving after a week and able to do what ever house work I wanted. Walk my doggie down the beach with the stroller. Super fast labour of 4 hours and super fast recovery. I was back in shape within a weeks

Now no 2 arrived last July via a c-sec due to complications we found out about at my 20 wk scan.

Can't shower alone, can't get out of bed for 24 hours, need help to sit up and feed baby, have to rely on so many people to help you do miniscule little things. Like putting your undies on. Wiping the blood away and changing your pads for you. Forget about driving that isn't happening for a minimum of 6 weeks. No housework so you can forget about that aswell. Can't lift anything heavier then your baby. And if you think it's a 6 week recovery they are lying to you. It's more like 6months. Takes a lot longer to lose that baby weight aswell.

Don't get me wrong I love my boys equally but there is no way in hell I'd have another c-sec unless I was going to die during a natural birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had both and found that my 36 hour labour with episiotomy (?spelling) was a faster recovery than my c/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Skye Baby View Post
    My recovery also took a lot longer than 6 weeks. Like you around 5-6 months. My scar also hurt for a lot longer than this and even years later occasionally hurt.
    I found I was getting intermittent deep stabbing pain in my scar years later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In your case I would definitely choose another vaginal birth.

Ive had a vaginal and 2 Caesars and would definitely prefer the vaginal. I recovered beautifully from the Caesars but would much prefer the recovery after vaginal birth.

I think because you healed so well and weren't traumatised by the situation a vaginal birth is definitely the best option.

It also sounds like you're very educated on techniques to avoid tearing so fingers crossed it won't happen again for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 1 natural and 3 caesars. For me, I would have another c/s over a natural birth. My natural birth was a 3 day induction and just prior to going in to theatre to have a c/s, she crowned and out she came in 3 pushes. The aftermath was not fun, I walked like a crab for 6+ weeks and the bleeding lasted 8-10 weeks. DD2 was an elective c/s, up and showered/walking after 2 hours and discharged the next day. I healed faster with my section over a vaginal however I know lots that bounce back really quickly after natural births and not so well after a c/s. Think perhaps for yourself, get a second opinion and do lots of research as well as taking on other people's experiences like you have done here. Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3rd degree tear and a fractured coccyx with DS. The pain from the coccyx was so bad I didn't even notice the pain from the tear. I could hardly sit for weeks and weeks (really, it was months), I was in so much pain I could hardly do anything. If it was just the tear, I would have gone for a vaginal birth with DD (even though I had pain from the tear for over a year).

DD was born 3 weeks ago. I had an elective c-section. I was/still am torn about the decision. I found not being able to get up to look after DD really challenging. The endone also made my BP drop significantly and so I had to stop taking decent pain relief early on. I had to delay my shower and getting up because my BP was so low I couldn't stand. I was surprised by how quickly the pain improved each time I had to get up. I stopped taking pain killers within 2 weeks because I didn't need it to get through the day. But my stomach is still swollen (and I am vain enough to hope that it goes away because I will be seriously unhappy if it stays the way it is), and because of the healing nerves, my stomach from my wound to my belly button feels like I've had an encounter with stinging nettles. Loose clothing is causing me no end of discomfort. I lifted DS (11kg) without thinking from the floor when he split his lip at 3 weeks PP. I also have been carrying him since if it's been necessary (because at 2 all he knows is that I have done it once and so therefore should be able to do it again). But am in a bit of pain this evening, I think I over did it. I am in significantly less pain 3 weeks PP than I was last time though.