+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First scan confused about follicles!

Hi

I'm on day 7 of injections and I had a scan this morning and there's 8-9 follicles in each ovary. Is this a good or bad amount? how many did you have?

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was a poor responder and did 4 cycles, with 1, 3, 0 and 3 follicles made respectively. I would have walked over broken glass for your numbers!

The misleading thing with early scans though is that it's likely that not all of those follicles will be of the same size. It is quite possible that you could get to EPU with some of those being too small to be collected.

Your FS will aim to get as uniform a result as he/she can with regards to sizing, but just because you have xxx follicles present it doesn't automatically mean xxx eggs will be collected if you get my drift. Follicles can also sometimes be empty so don't be surprised if that happens with some of them either.

As it stands though you are off to a great start! I'll cross everything for you and hope it all goes well

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a fantastic amount- but it depends more on the size of the follicle than the amount. They want follicles preferably between 17-22mm approximately. I had about 8 follicles in total, but only 3-4 were the correct size for collection. The rest were too small and were not catching up. Did they let you know the size of the follicles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid13 View Post
    Hi

I'm on day 7 of injections and I had a scan this morning and there's 8-9 follicles in each ovary. Is this a good or bad amount? how many did you have?

Thank you

That's a great number, @Mermaid13. I had 2 at one side and about 7 at the other side (so about 9 totally) but then I got only 5 eggs as my follicles grew differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like great numbers but cysts can look very similar and won't contain eggs. But with that many you should get a good number hopefully. Sometimes there are also follicles that they miss on the scan so you can get more than you expected if you're lucky!

Unfortunately the numbers tend to go down at each stage. For my last fresh cycle I had 19 eggs, 17 mature, 12 fertilise, 7 good enough for 3 day transfer/freeze. I got DD from transferring 2 embryos that cycle and got a bfn from my first FET last month. Only 4 left. Hoping 1 of those is a baby.