+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on our local kinder's committee as Secretary for 2 years and have recently moved on as I no longer have children at that kinder.

I definately had a love hate relationship with it though- on the one hand it's great to show your children that you're interested in them and their education but on the other, it takes up a lot of time and not a lot of helpers. We could barely scrape a new members for the incoming committee.

I have 2 children at school now and I have put my hand up to help on sports days and literacy / parent helper in the classroom when I can. I will definately not join the p and c committee at this stage though as they have a healthy committee and frankly I need a break!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I was the secretary on the P&C for the last 3 years but decided not to be on the executive this year. I still go to the meetings but got too much stuff on to have an executive position and it is my youngest child's last year at home before starting school so I want to spend more time with her.

I'm also manager of my son's football team.

I get frustrated when it's the same people doing all the work but this week I was on the other side and it annoyed me. Apart from football, my son also does bmx and they were asking for volunteers and shared this really narky letter from essential baby and made a really narky post on Facebook about volunteers for this weekend and it really got my back up because I do volunteer for heaps of thing and we just don't have time to do more.

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/educ...0170227-gum4aq
    That letter makes me all kind of angry!!!!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    That letter makes me all kind of angry!!!!
    I just read it and it makes me ragey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on the Kindy executive for 3 years until the *****y mothers got too much and I didn't want to be part of that. It was a shame as I loved helping the kindy.

DS has just started school and I have returned to work. I'm finding the school thing harder than expected but haven't volunteered yet but will when I'm settled.

I'm in a CWA branch serving as secretary. We do various events in the community to raise money for various causes.

Volunteering was a huge part of my upbringing. My Dad always felt you should give back to the community to help those less fortunate than we were/are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    I just read it and it makes me ragey.
    Yep. I DO help out. I just don't help out at bmx. But they don't know that I help out elsewhere and that's what I got annoyed at...the assumption that I am not helping anywhere and just the nature of it. Yuck.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-03-2017),TheGooch  (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you do much community work

Oh, even though I'm not on p&c executive this year, I am the class parent rep for my son's class.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (06-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    9I have been thinking about this topuc a fair bit lately. I have always been a volunteer...The person who always puts their hand up..SES, school, sport, residents association etc. And I love/d it, I enjoyed interacting with people and helping out. It made me feel good. That was my nature.
    And then I became a single mother of 3 kids heavily involved in sport...I had to work more. I had to reel it back in...big time. I do very little now (manage 2 sport teams and occasionally help at school). I don't have physical time or mental energy to commit. Do I feel bad? Not really. I just can't right now and that's ok.
    There are lots of reasons people DON'T volunteer. Time poor, disorganized, anxiety, poor self esteem, an inability to feel confident putting themselves forward because they lack skills, difficult children, poor sleep, sick/aging parents...The list goes on...and I understand.
    Yes volunteers do have all these this going on too...but they can cope with it when many feel they can't.
    I don't ever judge a person who doesn't put their hand up...not everyone can or will for a myriad of reasons and that's ok.
    There will ALWAYS be those who volunteer and those who dont...might as well not lose sleep about it ☺

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-03-2017),gingermillie  (10-03-2017),MrsMummaButterfly  (06-06-2017),yadot  (25-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking about this topic this week as both me and dp have helped at the school recently. But we don't generally do a lot or anything regular. The thing is with 3 kids really the volunteer is volunteering the other parent to be the sole carer for that time! A few weeks ago dp spent about 4 hours doing a clean up of the rugby club. He got out amongst adults and got to feel good about himself contributing to the club... but I was stuck at home again with 3 kids! The rare time I do "volunteer" at stalls at the school it's a lovely break for me just having adult conversations! (I'm sahm). When my youngest is at school I'll probably be able to get a bit more involved with school things but right now I really don't have a lot of free time. Not long ago a school mum was moaning that parents weren't putting their hands up for the canteen, even though most are working and I just found it so annoying to listen to when I know her parents live with them and are so involved with her kids care. Some people are amazing and manage to fit it all in even without having that family support around but it's not fair to judge those of us who aren't like that and are actually struggling with day to day life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in SES and a volunteer ambulance, in the school P&C and for the last two years I ran the canteen on my own. I was the preschool president but there was a "mutiny" and I just stepped back from that because honestly, I can't be bothered with that childish crap.
    I'm on the trustee board and a member of the committee for the local youth centre. I chaperone excursions and swim days (one of my children is autistic so the school prefers to have me around as he is prone to running). I am a sahm mum and studying full time from home so that I can do these sorts of things. Volunteering factored heavily into my decision to stay home.

I still have two small ones at home. So for stuff during the day, they always come with unless my (shift working) husband just happens to have time off.
    For stuff after school hours, all 4 come with me. Thankfully everyone is understanding of this and after a few years, it's just "expected".

I don't mind when people don't help. Even when I know they aren't working or studying etc and they are just at home. If they don't want to volunteer that's fine. I get a lot so satisfaction from it and others don't. That's fine. Everyone is different. What DOES make me angry is when those same people whinge and moan about my efforts. Eg, last year my kids were sick for a week. So I had to close up the school canteen as no one else put their hand up to go in my place. I copped a lot of stick about that. "How dare I disadvantage those poor children". It's not like I left them hungry. I went there on the Monday and sent a note home with all the kids so that the parents knew to send lunch instead, AND I put together stuff so the office ladies could quickly hand out some ham cheese sandwiches for any kids that came without lunch. But nope. I was a selfish bish apparently.
    That is what gets me cranky.
    I could go into the preschool one but would be here all night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. Between fulltime work, part time study and 3 kids the only extra community service I can offer is giving blood!