+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I don't. That's why it's a public system. I do think that those who can afford to pay the voluntary fees should though. That benefits the whole school. Our voluntary fees were about $250 for both kids. Uniform and Excursions are on top of that, and the stationery for both kids was about $300 I think. Much cheaper than the $4K it cost for 1 day of DC for 1 child a week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    No, I don't think so, although it does bug me that I always pay the voluntary fee when I struggle financially, and so many of the parents who own huge homes and go on overseas holidays, etc, tell me they don't.
    That's like my lady in the OP, she said IF they pay it, implying she doesn't but then whines about the school needing upgrades - so pay your school fees ! She can definitely afford the $170!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. We chose to send our kids to a local state school. We could afford to pay for private school but I liked the atmosphere of the state school better. I love that our kids mix with all walks of life. I think means testing would result in kids being put in boxes (low income or better off) right from the start of their education. We pay any voluntary contributions and buy the raffle tickets that get sent home. I volunteer time in the classroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We chose private because of a better school environment and less wayward kids who swear and carry on. Plus safety was an issue. And small class sizes. And modern buildings.

But Im sure public school fees are voluntary. But they are low so why would you not pay them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Depending on the school, state schools can end up being very expensive, especially highschools. It's more than just the fees. If they get into the school band, there are musical instruments to purchase. School camps, excursions, uniforms, shoes etc. It all adds up. Then there are the BYODs. I paid $1300 for DD's computer this year. It isn't compulsory to buy the school computer, BUT you are not allowed to bring a non-school one to school.
    The laptop is the equivalent of one week of day care for my two kiddos. I understand it would be a huge cost for families. But when you've been paying day care fees for a while, it's a drop in the pond.