+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will add...I have no issue with her asking a business owner for sponsorship either. Sponsorship is supposed to come from businesses, it's a sponsorship, not a donation. The business usually receives something in return (advertisement in every newsletter for example). Public schools tend to have pretty strict policies on sponsorship. Public school's are also supposed to involve the local community. It wasn't out of line for her to ask a business owner if they were interested in sponsoring the school for new sports equipment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I will add...I have no issue with her asking a business owner for sponsorship either. Sponsorship is supposed to come from businesses, it's a sponsorship, not a donation. The business usually receives something in return (advertisement in every newsletter for example). Public schools tend to have pretty strict policies on sponsorship. Public school's are also supposed to involve the local community. It wasn't out of line for her to ask a business owner if they were interested in sponsoring the school for new sports equipment.
    Trust me we sponsor more than our fair share of local schools and sporting teams and get asked for money more from people than actual business but I think she just rubbed me up the wrong way and her attitude annoyed me by joking how cheap it is to send her daughter to this school , but then *****ed about the school facilities while we sat there working out how easily she can afford the new house , then asked me for $5,000!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No. I think public education should be available to all equally.

Means testing public schools seems too close to privatizing the school system for my liking.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think private schools receive similar funding per student anyway, so I can't see it saving the government money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going out on a whim here and totally making assumptions, but I would imagine that it's actually beneficial to have higher income families in public schools (assuming many would enrol in private if the public fees were increased).
    Your comment about asking for a donation made me think about how they have more opportunity to ask people in a position to donate than low income parents, and to buy the box of tissues and other classroom supplies that we're asked to contribute to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    No. I think public education should be available to all equally.

Means testing public schools seems too close to privatizing the school system for my liking.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think private schools receive similar funding per student anyway, so I can't see it saving the government money.
    I just looked at the my school site so not sure if it's correct but our local public school it says gets $11,226 per child from the government and our private school gets $5665 , plus then the school fees and fundraising on top

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-03-2017),BH-KatiesMum  (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I think fees should be the same no matter what the parent's income is.

I can't blame the OP's client for being thrilled about paying such low fees for primary school - they would be paying a fair bit for their older children's high school fees I imagine.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out how much DS's public school fees were for the whole year. In fact, I was amazed at how little they ask for when they are delivering quality education and care for a whole year.

I would hope that anyone well-off financially would pay their fees in full and also help where they can with fundraising/donations/sponsorship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I just looked at the my school site so not sure if it's correct but our local public school it says gets $11,226 per child from the government and our private school gets $5665 , plus then the school fees and fundraising on top
    I probably should have elaborated. I wasn't referring to elite private schools. If your question ever happened, I don't think the fee gap would ever close enough that parents would compare public and elite based on fees alone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't think so, although it does bug me that I always pay the voluntary fee when I struggle financially, and so many of the parents who own huge homes and go on overseas holidays, etc, tell me they don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    No, I don't think so, although it does bug me that I always pay the voluntary fee when I struggle financially, and so many of the parents who own huge homes and go on overseas holidays, etc, tell me they don't.
    Oh really? I think that's pretty weak of them really.

My voluntary contribution is only $40 and I wouldn't dream of not paying it (and I'm far from being wealthy).