+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. Should be free. I would rather see Public schools be completely free and incentives in place for utilising a private based system.

School fees/voluntary contributions are so varied. My VC is $35 which is crazy cheap BUT, I have to provide everything. All stationary and a lot of resources for the classroom like paper, tissues, sunscreen, laminating pouches etc are on her book list. I would be pretty peeved if I had hundreds in school fees, plus paying for all that in a public system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Not always. My understanding is that they are compulsory in SA and unpaid fees are sent to debt collectors.

In highschool, (mine anyway), non payment of fees and levies results in the child being excluded from camps and social activities.
    Just looked into it. In SA, parents are charged what seems to be a compulsory "materials" fee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Being SA our school votes on what the school fee's will be for the following year. If parents choose to not vote then they will just be sent the bill in the ford term. This year we are paying $330 per student which I consider cheap considering what our kids are being taught.

Some people look at my house and think wow it's huge she must have a lot of money. I wish. Behind that house is a mountain of debt to go with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Voluntary in qld. I haven't paid the fees. Can't afford the extra cost. But dd has everything she needs to attend school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. For all the reasons already stated.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    totally agree with all others

Education should be free. Health care should be free.

Pay tax (based on income) to fund these essential services, and offer all services to all equally

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a few years of day care behind me & still a few ahead, I actually can not comprehend how cheap school is. A few hundred dollars for a year!

Can we not have state early learning centers & the costs balanced out a bit between the two? Would allow more Mums to return to work with reduced day care fees & still not necessarily restrict too much of the population schools cost wise.

That's not thought through, so please let me know why it's a silly idea!

But seriously, we are a family that can afford to pay much more for our public schooling & would happily do so and yet are being crippled by day care fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    Having a few years of day care behind me & still a few ahead, I actually can not comprehend how cheap school is. A few hundred dollars for a year!
    Depending on the school, state schools can end up being very expensive, especially highschools. It's more than just the fees. If they get into the school band, there are musical instruments to purchase. School camps, excursions, uniforms, shoes etc. It all adds up. Then there are the BYODs. I paid $1300 for DD's computer this year. It isn't compulsory to buy the school computer, BUT you are not allowed to bring a non-school one to school.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hell no! A state education should be free for all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. My husband has a decent income but that doesn't mean we are rich. Our public school has no fees. You just pay for things like excursions (which are crazy subsidised. We have an overnight camp coming up and it costs me $20 per child!).
    My daughters distance education for preschool (kinder for those not in nsw) costs 240 for the year but 100 of that is refundable when you return the stuff like the board games. And that price covers all the art stuff they send you, plus a lot of postage costs obviously as it's all reply paid.