+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Intensive parenting help

Does anyone know where I can get some intensive personalised (ie not one size fits all), ideally in-home parenting help? Something on an ongoing basis probably, not just a one off appointment while my son is behaving like a complete angel & they don't even seem to be able to imagine how much I'm struggling, because he seems so perfect.

I've tried child health, they were useless.

Ive done circle of security. And I've attempted Triple P which was one size fits all. I've read books. I think we need something more than books & generic courses at this stage.

And if I need to go to the organisation, they need to be happy for me to bring my son. I have no other choice, especially if it's an ongoing thing.

I'm in Brisbane North

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps a behavioural OT could help? There's plenty around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gumnut babies For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP I feel like you're the only one parenting your son. I get that your partner works long hours but I think you need to make it clear that you need his support to get through these challenges, which might include him taking some time off work whether thats a solid week or a day here or there so you can attend appointments.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (09-03-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-03-2017),rosey82  (09-03-2017),Wise Enough  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    OP I feel like you're the only one parenting your son. I get that your partner works long hours but I think you need to make it clear that you need his support to get through these challenges, which might include him taking some time off work whether thats a solid week or a day here or there so you can attend appointments.
    Yep I do agree with you. I feel like it is me mostly. Like even to the extent that if for example, a new issue or behaviour has arrisen during the week, so then it's been up to me to decide the best way to deal with it because DH isn't here - so I've started doing something & being consistent every time & explained to DH exactly what I'm doing & why & he's said he agreed. Then on the weekend when the same issue arose, DH dealt with it completely differently to me, therefore undoing all the work I'd been doing on being consistent during the week. Apparently he 'forgot' is what I hear each time.

I know he has no comprehension whatsoever of how much trouble I'm having. I've tried to tell him so many times but it never gets through. So I've basically given up & I'm just trying to accept that he's never going to understand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry I don't have better advice for you, but I'd try MHCN again - maybe a different branch? If you're not getting anywhere with them, maybe try the department of Community, Child Safety and Disability Services - make it clear to them that you're really struggling due to anxiety and need some intensive support, remind them that they have an obligation with regard to the welfare of all children including your son. They should be able to point you in the direction of something.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think this would be like what you're looking for http://www.matermothers.org.au/hospi...rent-aide-unit
    Only problem is it is Southside only by the looks, perhaps you could phone them an see if there is something similar offered for Northside?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about something like the Ellen Barron centre? It's based at Prince Charles hospital so it's northside. Also you could have a look at the Raising Children Network. I just had a quick google and found the Brisbane Kids website which has loads of links that might help. This one might be helpful...

"RAISING GOOD KIDS: MANAGING BEHAVIOUR AND EMOTIONS IN 0-5’S (ONLINE COURSE)"
    https://www.brisbanekids.com.au/rais...online-course/

Do you find your child health clinic helpful? I have friends on the north side who left their local child health clinic and now go to the one at Nundah. Apparently it's really good. One of my friends was able to access 10 free appts with a psychologist through child health when she was suffering from postnatal anxiety. Do you have any other mum friends around who you can ask for advice and help on where to go?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    What about something like the Ellen Barron centre? It's based at Prince Charles hospital so it's northside. Also you could have a look at the Raising Children Network. I just had a quick google and found the Brisbane Kids website which has loads of links that might help. This one might be helpful...

"RAISING GOOD KIDS: MANAGING BEHAVIOUR AND EMOTIONS IN 0-5’S (ONLINE COURSE)"
    https://www.brisbanekids.com.au/rais...online-course/

Do you find your child health clinic helpful? I have friends on the north side who left their local child health clinic and now go to the one at Nundah. Apparently it's really good. One of my friends was able to access 10 free appts with a psychologist through child health when she was suffering from postnatal anxiety. Do you have any other mum friends around who you can ask for advice and help on where to go?
    I didn't know Ellen Barron did that, I thought they were just a sleep school. I'll definitely look into that! We went there for sleep & they were good.

I'll check out that online course!

I don't really have any mum friends . Everyone made friends when their bubs were born - I barely left the house for the first 6 months due to PND. Now they are all in their little cliques & aren't interested in adding anyone else. I've been trying since he was 6 months old, just accepted now that it's not going to happen.