+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Won't eat at home, but eats like a horse when out

Does anyone else have a toddler where food is a battle at home & yet they eat like a horse when out?

I literally feel like I'm carrying half the grocery store & it's still never enough & we always have screaming because I've run out of food.

Yet if I offer food before I leave he won't eat it. Or if i have a few things to do but I go home in between & I offer him some food, he won't eat it then either.

And then he's screaming for food as soon as we go out again

The screaming in itself isn't a problem, but if I run out of food & then he's screaming in the car then I struggle to concentrate on driving because I have very little driving experience. So the not eating before we leave is becoming a problem.

Also, depending on where we are going, I'm not always driving, as I currently only drive short distances. Often we are walking to the train etc. So I can't carry half the pantry's worth of food, it's just getting ridiculous.

Anyone else have a child like this? What do I do?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    plan your outings to be in between meals, and make sure you are only out of the house for as short a time as possible. I would carry only some fruit or maybe a sandwich with you for the times in the car. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do. He has breakfast & then we go out. I usually offer a small snack before we go but he won't eat it.

This morning I had an appointment, we were out for 3 hours total. He had breakfast before we left. I took a sandwich, a whole cut up plum, a vegimite scroll & some sultanas & dates. He ate all of it & then we still had screaming most of the way home because he wanted more.

So we came home, I offered a yoghurt & he refused to eat it, so we ducked out to the grocery store & I told him before we left that I wasn't taking any food if he didn't eat his yoghurt. He didn't eat it, so I didn't take any food, then he starts asking for food at the grocery store. Argh!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My issue is, he doesn't eat much at home, so I'm not sure on withholding food when we are out. But the amount I have to carry is ridiculous.

Like he'll generally eat breakfast at home. If we are home for morning tea he'll usually eat a small piece of fruit. Lunch he won't eat anything except a sandwich (obviously I offer heaps of veggies, cheese, egg etc as well). Usually refuses afternoon tea & then will only eat plain pasta for dinner. At daycare 3 days a week however he eats like a horse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make him a daily lunchbox. Give him food at certain times. If he refuses then he cannot eat any until the next meal.

If you are out and it is 'meal time' let him eat. If not just do not bring anything.

He is a toddler. They will eventually grow out of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I'll give it a try. What about when I'm driving & it's not mealtime & he's demanding food?

I have spent many years overcoming a severe driving phobia. Now I have my license but little driving experience. I'm still building up slowly & have a long way to go yet. Things like driving in traffic etc is really stressful - add in hysterical screaming from the back seat & it's a nightmare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just give food in the car.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

misho  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He will have to wait. Does he have activities to do in the car? Some special pens and paper or toys may keep him occupied.

Remind him before you are driving that there is no food untik you get home.

If he tantrums on the way home either ignore and keep driving. Or stop and tell him no and he has to wait etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't ignore the screaming while I'm driving, that's my problem. It's so distracting. I've tried pulling over & telling him no, but as soon as I drive off again he screams for food.

Mostly if we are in the car I give him food & tell him when that's gone that's it, but then he screams when he finishes it

Things like stop start traffic leading up to a certain roundabout that can't cope with the capacity of the traffic, roadworks etc aren't second nature to me yet, I need to concentrate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you think he's actually hungry or does he just want something to stimulate his urge to chew?

I was thinking you could try letting him wear a chew necklace? They are designed for children who have sensory needs. Something like this:

Chewigem-Sensory-Necklaces (1).jpg

It might be enough to distract/busy him while you try and drive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (09-03-2017)