+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I was trying to sort myself out. Obviously not. I'll find a psychiatrist, hopefully I can take him with me or they work on weekends. Will I need a referral?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to allatsea For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DS was this age and difficult with nappy changing I had a toy that only came out when it was time to change him. It was never kept where he could see it and I got it out only when needed. It distracted him long enough to get cleaned up. Then it was put away until the next time . It worked every time because to him it was a special item. I used to sing silly songs to and say where is your nose etc and sing abcd etc to distract.

Maybe worth trying to find a toy that he never normally plays with that only comes out for nappy changing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    I thought I was trying to sort myself out. Obviously not. I'll find a psychiatrist, hopefully I can take him with me or they work on weekends. Will I need a referral?
    Yes you will need a referral from your GP. There should be no problem taking your DS if you can't get a babysitter, it may even be helpful for them to see you interact with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    You will need a referral from your GP. The first one you see might not suit but it's worth trying a couple until you click.

Some may have play areas or you could allow your son to have a picnic and watch some shows on a phone or iPad. Given he loves to eat that might give you time to chat. Otherwise maybe try and work a short day once a month and go on a day he is in care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, in relation to managing your anxiety with techniques, they say to do it daily because the idea is that you practise it enough that you are able to use the technique without thinking when your anxiety kicks in. I practise when I go to bed at night. The benefit is that it helps to calm me down to go to sleep at night. You can use little and simple techniques that only take 5 minutes. If you'd like some suggestions, I'd be happy to give you a list of some of the things I do to help with my anxiety. I have a 2 year old and a 3 week old. My 2 year old is very boisterous, active, determined.... I think the term spirited actually fits him completely. My 3 week old doesn't sleep much at night... and she is always awake if I manage to get my toddler to have a nap, so I don't get the opportunity to nap. Managing my anxiety takes a conscious effort. But I am so much happier and relaxed when I do it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    OP, in relation to managing your anxiety with techniques, they say to do it daily because the idea is that you practise it enough that you are able to use the technique without thinking when your anxiety kicks in. I practise when I go to bed at night. The benefit is that it helps to calm me down to go to sleep at night. You can use little and simple techniques that only take 5 minutes. If you'd like some suggestions, I'd be happy to give you a list of some of the things I do to help with my anxiety. I have a 2 year old and a 3 week old. My 2 year old is very boisterous, active, determined.... I think the term spirited actually fits him completely. My 3 week old doesn't sleep much at night... and she is always awake if I manage to get my toddler to have a nap, so I don't get the opportunity to nap. Managing my anxiety takes a conscious effort. But I am so much happier and relaxed when I do it.
    Yes please, any ideas on things you find helpful for managing your anxiety would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, as well as addressing my anxiety, how do I address his behaviour?

I got no techniques whatsoever out of circle of security.

I'm a bit stumped on the best strategy to use.

I've been told by child health that when he's aggressive I can't walk away, I have to stay & connect. That makes me feel like he's continuing to get away with the behaviour

Honestly I've never given time out a good try because I don't know where to do it. I won't use his bedroom for punishment, we have enough sleep issues already. He can climb out of the cot & the playpen. When I've attempted to get him to just sit on a chair in the corner, I've had to stand there & hold him there, because otherwise it's barely two seconds before he leaves - then we have a new epic battle trying to carry him back & get him to stay there. Any tips around time out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Changing an active toddler's nappy when they are throwing themselves around/d...

How about time in? Where you sit in a room / space with him, helps with connecting with him but also removes him from the situation where he's acting out.

Here is some more info about the difference between time out and time in? http://www.positiveparentingconnecti...he-difference/
    Last edited by JR03; 09-03-2017 at 17:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    How about time in? Where you sit in a room / space with him, helps with connecting with him but also removes him from the situation where he's acting out.

Here is some more info about the difference between time out and time in? http://www.positiveparentingconnecti...he-difference/
    I've given it a try but he completely refuses to sit with me. It ended up not being time in because I was having to force him to sit with me, which I know is not the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long are you giving things a try?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast