+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I just want to say THANKYOU to everyone on here that appreciates their childcare educators! I didn't strike today but feel of course we deserve a pay rise.

OP your post actually made me really mad. First of all you haven't been there all day so you don't know that they have done nothing. I do a hell of a lot of work before parents see me in the yard with their kids. If you really feel like they are lazy, tell the director so their performance can improve.

When it comes to our wages, I honestly feel like it's not understood how vital our role is. It's early years education, not babysitting. I think when Australia fully understands how important the learning that occurs in the first 5 years is, that they will pay us accordingly.
    Exactly right!!

Those first 5 years are so important!

Nannies get paid a lot more and usually are caring for 1-3 children sometimes more...
    early childhood teachers are caring for a lot more based on the ratios...yet are paid so poorly

It isn't any wonder they are finding it difficult to attract and retain educators when they are so undervalued and underpaid.

OP I don't work in childcare anymore, mainly from opinions so narrow minded as yours!
    Maybe you need to walk a day in their shoes and you might quickly change your mind!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimum890 View Post
    Exactly right!!

Those first 5 years are so important!

OP I don't work in childcare anymore, mainly from opinions so narrow minded as yours!
    Maybe you need to walk a day in their shoes and you might quickly change your mind!!
    Couldnt agree more with this. I had to point out to a few judgemental mothers when I worked in child care that although they are a mum of one 2 year old and I at the time didnt have my own kids I did have 5 years experience of working just with 10 2 year olds so I actually did have alot of experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    Oh I actually think the childcare workers on strike was horrible. Surely there is another way to get their point across. Rather than what they did.

Also so I think a pay rise should be on a case by case basis. The childcare system that I have seen don't deserve the $20 an hour they get now. I have seen lazy workers content to do nothing!

I have seen some that that deserve a pay rise but I have not seen many at all.

So so it should definitely be on a case by case basis.

Mysticfalls
    You can't do things like this on a case by case basis. That completely undermines the absolutely vital need for collaboration etc in these fields. You want all your workers to be working together and supporting each other, not just looking out for themselves.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My thoughts are in line with the majority - they should be paid more! Caring for and educating young children is a huge responsibility and the role of these workers is truly undervalued.

Like ALL professions, there are of course some that do not do their job to the best of their capabilities. That doesn't mean that child care workers should miss out on a pay rise across the board because there are a few duds in the mix.

I used to really want to work in child care, but I was put off when I mentioned it because so many people were quick to tell me how poorly they are paid. Here I am in a stress-free well paid job, yet I'm not doing anything commendable/satisfying/rewarding like a child care worker does every day.

I hope they get the raise they are looking for.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (09-03-2017)