Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's ok, really. I said I wasn't going to take it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take it. I get terrible hormonal migraines and can't take my usual medication because I'm pregnant. My GP and OB are happy for me to take codeine.

It is category A (known safe in pregnancy) there is slight evidence that excessive use in the 3rd trimester can cause dependence. But a dose at night to get some sleep would be unlikely to cause this.

If you've never had panadine forte you could try panadine. The dose of codeine is much lower but it's still very effective. Or if you've already filled the script you could take one panadine forte and 1 regular panadine.

Yes a pharmacist can decline to fill a script and it is pretty common for them to call a doctor and question things.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (10-03-2017),Shoopuf  (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    So my midwife just text back and said she'd consider it safe. So confusing. I'm not sure that a doctor and a midwife would both be wrong, but the doubt is there now so I can't feel ok about taking it.
    It is safe.

I think there was a non proven study back in the day that is caused birth defects.

I know the unknown can be scary. But for me I trust my caregivers. I have had pharmacists tell me how bad antidepressants are during pregnancy - but I have a happy healthy daughter.

I will add that an unsafe painkiller is ibuprofen.

Have you taken panadol?

Eta. The study was taking it during 1st tri.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2017),Shoopuf  (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had the script filled because I was waiting to hear back from my midwife before I made a decision.

I'm so torn. I do want relief from the pain, but not as badly as I want a healthy baby. I've tried panadol but it doesn't even scratch the surface.

I had heard that codeine is a Cat A drug .... if it is, then it's really surprising that they happily fill my zofran scripts because zofran is Cat B!

I still don't think I can take it, because if something were to happen, even if it were completely unrelated, I would never forgive myself since the pharmacist told me it's not safe.

Thanks for all the replies and help though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can a pharmacist refuse to fill a prescription?

So my midwife just text back and said she'd consider it safe. So confusing. I'm not sure that a doctor and a midwife would both be wrong, but the doubt is there now so I can't feel ok about taking it.
    I think it sucks that you now don't feel comfortable taking it. The pharmacist is not privy to your private conversation with your dr weighing up the pros and cons and they shouldn't treat people like idiots. If someone refused me my medication that I need to have, after consideration and after consultation with my Drs, I would put in a formal complaint and tbh be very upset at being treated that way.

I think if you're in pain you should try it, maybe go to another pharmacy and ask them instead. You can take 1 with 1 regular panadol if that makes you feel better.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (08-03-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2017),Shoopuf  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had the script filled because I was waiting to hear back from my midwife before I made a decision.

I'm so torn. I do want relief from the pain, but not as badly as I want a healthy baby. I've tried panadol but it doesn't even scratch the surface.

I had heard that codeine is a Cat A drug .... if it is, then it's really surprising that they happily fill my zofran scripts because zofran is Cat B!

I still don't think I can take it, because if something were to happen, even if it were completely unrelated, I would never forgive myself since the pharmacist told me it's not safe.

Thanks for all the replies and help though
    I'm sorry you feel this way now.

Isn't there a great number you can ring about medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding? Im sure some of the ladies here will know what it's called.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2017),Shoopuf  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I always listen to Pharmacists over Doctors in terms of medications and risks etc, and if I'm still not sure I ring medicine line, they always allay fears and know drugs inside and out and always give you an honest guide of perceived risk etc.

Their number (for future reference) is:
    1300 633 424.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Can a pharmacist refuse to fill a prescription?

I would trust my doctor over a pharmacist any day.
    I remember I was 6 weeks post partum and got a script for the mini pill and a pharmacist casually mentioned that as I was breastfeeding I didn't actually need it

I took panadeine forte every now and again during pregnancy, particularly 3rd trimester.

If you need it, take it. If you don't need it, fine.

I'm disappointed a pharmacist seems to think they know better than your doctor. They could of just filled it but discussed their perceived "risks" and let you make that judgement. Which there is none, really.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 08-03-2017 at 19:57.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ihad severe spd with my third. Wheelchair from about 26 weeks, husband had to take 3 months carers leave and i was carted off to hospital at 35 weeks where i remained until i simply couldnt handle one more day of the pain. I took, on my obstetrician' s advice, panadeine forte from 25 weeks, it was such horrendous pain. I feel for you... it can be horrible. Look, it's reassuring i guess that professional's are giving their professional opinion, i can only say that i hope you can get some relief. I cant give advice on whether it is safe or not... All the best.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At our hospital we give panadiene forte and temazepam (sleeping tablets) to women in early labour all the time to allow them to get much needed rest.

Definitely safe in the 3rd trimester.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (09-03-2017)