+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How does one go about getting into uni?

I am starting to think about going to uni next year but am unsure of the entry requirements. I have almost completed a diploma at Tafe, but only went to yr 10 at high school back in the day. My current study is in the same field as the uni study i want to do (community work/ social work).Wondering if i need to sit a stat test etc.
    Would anyone here know at all?
    Im in qld also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How does one go about getting into uni?

I would just search around the unis and the courses and they will have entry requirements listed.
    The bachelor I wanted to do, I wasn't able to get into but I'm doing a Diploma in the same field with the same uni and it knocks a year off my bachelor, so works out roughly the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My uni (CQ Uni) has a program called STEPS which allows people to gain entry to uni if they haven't done yr 12/got an OP etc. I'm sure most would offer something similar though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    My uni (CQ Uni) has a program called STEPS which allows people to gain entry to uni if they haven't done yr 12/got an OP etc. I'm sure most would offer something similar though.
    That's my uni too . I could have done the steps program too I think but I chose the Diploma instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    In SA we have what's called at STAT test which is a general knowledge test that you get scored on to gain entry.

It depends what you want to study as to what score you need to get. Find out what unis are in your state, go on their website and find a 'non-school leavers' page which will tell you all about the entry pathways. It doesn't matter if you didn't finish high school, the QLD equivalent of the STAT test if you score is enough, will get you into uni. In SA if you failed year 12 and you turned 18 before a certain date, you just do the STAT test as an alternate way to get into uni.

Or as others have said, see if you can get credit from your TAFE courses into a Uni, or some unis have a 'preparatory program' where you study for 1 year in that and it gives you entry into your second year. It just depends on what course you want to study and which uni you want to study at as they all have different entry points.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofgremlins View Post
    I am starting to think about going to uni next year but am unsure of the entry requirements. I have almost completed a diploma at Tafe, but only went to yr 10 at high school back in the day. My current study is in the same field as the uni study i want to do (community work/ social work).Wondering if i need to sit a stat test etc.
    Would anyone here know at all?
    Im in qld also.
    No you will get into a bachelor of psychology or social work just on a diploma alone. Your diploma will equate to a certain percentage rate. I know a cert 3 equates to a 69%.

Some degrees require areas such as English, maths proficiency however the area you speak of is only English and your diploma will cover that also.

Best to contact a few uni' to see what grades you need.

I go through CQU distant with a bachelor of psychology and I didn't complete school either (I have certs that have given me entry).

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a diploma then you won't need to sit a stat test. I got into psychology with my diploma, although I did sit a STAT only because I wasn't sure I would be finished in time, but in the end I didn't need the STAT. I'm in QLD also. If you go and find the degree you want to do they will have an OP/ranking listed... you just need to find out what ranking you get with a diploma (or the uni should be able to tell you.) Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, i will give the uni a call to get a better understanding of my situation but i have a better general idea now xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Enrolling into Uni isn't too hard but it does vary state to state. With Victoria, I had to enrole via a website and pay an application fee but some unis allow you to en role directly to them.
    It also depends on what you apply for, as some will have pre-requirements like needing to see a folio of work, etc.. or they may require you to write an essay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My diploma of community services was enough for entry into social work in NSW. And gave me some advanced standings.