+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Selling Craft online or returning to workforce

Hi I am a SAHM and toying with the idea of selling craft online. Has anybody done this and how did they go about it. My other option is to return to work but I need upskilling but cannot afford the few thousand for a Tafe course. I have a degree in Psychology and worked with the Council for years. I really have no idea what area to go back too. Also the cost of putting 3 kids in before and after school care/vacation care is putting me off at the moment. Any inspirations or what other people did or do would be great. I feel like I am in a rut at the moment. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I've no advice on selling craft but also have 3 kids and want to return to work although I think I have much longer out of the workforce - 10 years!!!! Just curious as to what job you had with the council with your psychology degree? I'm not a registered psychologist my last role was in public health. My masters is too old now to even get back in, though be unrealistic to try and train as clinical psych at this point in my 40's! I'm trying to find a new direction that would make some use of that education but I'm hopelessly lost! If you have an in back at your old job my advice would be to go back. But that's coming from someone currently feeling ver depressed about her job prospects and wishing she had never left work :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't gone back to work and I sell my wares online. Feel free to pm me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Freya mum

I just had a job in administration. Never used my degree or postgrad. I am feeling lost too at the moment. Got so many no's at this stage it looks like I will have to fork out for a short course and even at that it is no guarantee of getting something. Wish there was a back to work scheme for mums

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkle2012 For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (23-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle2012 View Post
    Hi Freya mum

I just had a job in administration. Never used my degree or postgrad. I am feeling lost too at the moment. Got so many no's at this stage it looks like I will have to fork out for a short course and even at that it is no guarantee of getting something. Wish there was a back to work scheme for mums
    There really should be something to help mums back into work. If you take time out to care for your kids you are thrown to the wolves. I spend so much time trying to figure out what to study but still the biggest unknown is whether I can get a job in the end. It's so demoralising.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps how long have you been out of the workforce? Have you been applying for any jobs? I've got files full of ideas and need to decide whether to do a tafe admin course to update old skills or do a masters degree in something more vocational. I'm so torn. I feel getting admin work might be easier but not much in terms of career progression or financial rewards. And things are so awful with dp there's a very real possibility I'll be a single mom living in Sydney, I really will need an ok paying job 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    What sort of craft would you sell online? This might not pay the bills and could be more of a hobby? If you are in a rut this could be a good thing to get out of that and give you something to focus on while you save to do your courses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    There really should be something to help mums back into work. If you take time out to care for your kids you are thrown to the wolves. I spend so much time trying to figure out what to study but still the biggest unknown is whether I can get a job in the end. It's so demoralising.
    Honestly I really think the best thing you can do is just get out there and work. You're overthinking it. You can't always predict the outcomes you're anticipating. You could study for a masters then find no opportunities in your field, or no part time work, or a workplace that doesn't offer much progression (not saying this is likely), but you could also work in admin for a year, get a promotion to team leader, coordinator, supervisor, manager...and still have time to study at night if you wanted. Just start applying with an open mind - what's the worst that can happen? You get an interview? Better than not putting yourself out there at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    Honestly I really think the best thing you can do is just get out there and work. You're overthinking it. You can't always predict the outcomes you're anticipating. You could study for a masters then find no opportunities in your field, or no part time work, or a workplace that doesn't offer much progression (not saying this is likely), but you could also work in admin for a year, get a promotion to team leader, coordinator, supervisor, manager...and still have time to study at night if you wanted. Just start applying with an open mind - what's the worst that can happen? You get an interview? Better than not putting yourself out there at all!
    As I've not worked in 10 years I'd definitely need some retraining and not even looking to start working until ms3 is at school. The masters I did was a mistake (job wise) and if I had put more effort into planning what job I could get at the end I might've chosen a different course. So for me planning feels very important. And tbh after so long away from the workforce working would be so daunting but I'd happily study. I just need to pick the course that has the best job prospects. It's also very easy to get pigeon holed in admin. It happened to me before. Maybe it's the most realistic option for me but that's what I'm trying to explore...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was hoping sewing could keep me at home. It doesn't. I still do it though.