+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess I think if the person is comfortable asking then why not.
    People won't give where they don't want to.

Would it be the same feelings if the person wanted to adopt??

I myself would not ask for money for something so personal. It would make me feel that others had brought my dream to fruition and that it wasn't my own. Even if it was family and close friends. Maybe especially if it was. Knowing my family they could want to have a say in something because they contributed. Nah think it's just blurring too many lines for me.

More power to those who ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a big fan of gofund me type things, so I personally find it a bit tacky. I think you would be better off perhaps asking parents for a loan or gift - I'm not sure who else apart from close friends would fund someone else's TTC journey?

But the main concern in my mind is that TTC can be a really high-pressure situation, even more so when TTC through IVF. It's stressful and can possibly be a long, hard road. Do you really want to involve x amount of family and friends into that process? Genuine question, because for me, I am a very private TTC'er, & I never tell anyone that I am TTC. If the process takes months or years for you, are you going to be OK with the constant questions, the scrutiny every time you decline a drink of alcohol, the exclamations of 'I bet you're pregnant!', the feeling like you have to 'update' people on what is going on all the time? When people invest financially into something, they take some ownership over it, and YOUR TTC is now THEIR investment. I personally would not be able to manage that pressure, but everyone is different & I know others who love to involve their friends/ family in their journey. Whatever you decide, all the best for it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I say go for it! People do gofundme pages for so many ridiculous reasons, why not do it for something worth while. I'm sure your family and friends would love to help out to see you have a family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My main concern would be as @cheeeeesecake said- that so many people would feel they'd earn the right to ask about your treatment, and it would add more pressure to succeed.

As for needing to afford IVF to have a baby- well lots of people can't afford $5000 out of pocket for one IVF cycle but can afford to look after a baby. Not everywhere has low cost/bulk bill clinics- that's fine if you live in Sydney or Melbourne! There's none in WA. So if gofundme is the only way for it to happen I say go for it too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally wouldn't do a gofundme unless for a real medical emergency or tragedy.

Yes, it's true they've been set up for more ridiculous reasons, but unfortunately that's how things works now. People don't mind chipping in $5 for some idiot fundraiser but we're constantly flooded with these fundraisers now, people either need to be completely moved by tragedy or find it humorous before they'll donate.
    Obviously there are exceptions to this, and it's just my take on it. But I think what you'd have to lay on the table (progress and updates) for the few $ you'd receive just wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We actually didn't have anyone asking for updates. Maybe I was just lucky but our circle were really respectful and all over the moon when we eventually made the announcement. The only people I ever had to ask to stop with the questions was my family but that was before the go fund me! Usual parent stuff I guess. I'm also pretty open with all the IVF stuff though. I have a few friends who are starting the process now and I'm only to happy to spew forth knowledge 😂

Maybe its just the community we're in. We're in a fairly large sport and my hubby is a pretty well known figure within it so a lot of our support came from there. I guess it all depends on what kind of situation you have in the first place. I'm also keen to pay it forward one day if any of my friends/family need support for their TTC journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    I myself would not ask for money for something so personal. It would make me feel that others had brought my dream to fruition and that it wasn't my own. Even if it was family and close friends. Maybe especially if it was. Knowing my family they could want to have a say in something because they contributed. Nah think it's just blurring too many lines for me.
    This is what I would worry about - feeling like I owe something to those who contributed. And what if it doesn't work- will they feel ripped off? Not to mention the constant questions about your IVF cycle and what is happening. I would prefer to just ask my parents directly if I needed it, and offer to pay them back later on. You can also get money out of your super for IVF too.