ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Honest opinion... on fundraising for IVF

Hi all

I'm interested to hear your ideas of fundraising for IVF treatments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like using gofundme or whatever it is to raise money for personal use to have ivf??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My general thoughts are that if you can't afford the IVF to have a child, then how can you afford to raise a child? I find the concept a bit tacky to be honest.

These days there are options. We went through IVF at a low cost clinic. Yes we needed a few thousand to pay each cycle up front, but once we hit the Medicare safety net we were only out of pocket around $600 for each cycle (or $2500 for the first cycle). We decided that the difference between the low cost clinic and a full cost clinic would go towards private obstetrician, baby stuff etc. We didn't want to blow out all our money on trying to have a baby and then have nothing left to buy things for Bub. I believe there are even bulk billed clinics around these days too.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (07-03-2017),nicole83  (07-03-2017),PomPoms  (07-03-2017),SpotTheOcelot  (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People have done so. We used donor so we couldn't move the sperm to another clinic or low cost one. So it crossed our minds to go fund me.

Hell people have used go fund me for boob jobs and labial plasty. Those are far less worthy options so if you need to I say go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, I would pursue all other avenues first, loans, help from family, remortgage, sell stuff, use my super etc. If all avenues were exhausted and for whatever reason I couldn't use a low cost clinic I guess I would consider it but not something I'd automatically feel comfortable doing

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I wouldn't do it I have nothing against it per se. It's up to people whether they want to donate or not after all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done it. Having said that, we only asked friends and family. I wouldn't have asked strangers. Go fund me was actually a nice relaxed way to ask for help; people could donate or not and it wasn't pressuring them in person or anything.
    We did this before low cost clinics were common. At the time it was costing us $8000+ up front with around $2500 out of pocket for a cycle from memory.
    As MysticFalls said, people have asked for money for stupider stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally what M'LadyEm has said is my way of thinking. We went without so much to be able to fund our journey and spent over $30k in doing so. No nights out no partying no new clothes unless completely necessary. You'd be amazed how much you can save. We even sold my car to fund what would be our final journey to pay for another round. I don't believe in gofundme pages they are way to open for people to ask for money for anything. I know of someone that set one up and asked for $15k to pay for flights to another state so their child could have treatment. They raised that and more. What the people donating don't know is that the parents earn nearly $300,000 a year in wages but yet wouldn't fund their flights. I just find it tacky I'm sorry. If you really want a child you will find ways to fund it by cost cutting living expenses

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to agree with @M'LadyEm and @babybeeno1

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

SpotTheOcelot  (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Generally speaking, asking for help with IVF isn't something that I would shake my head at, and I'm probably one of the most critical people when it comes to GoFundMe.

The main reason being that we all hear about how our clocks are ticking, and if you add in some reasons why people need IVF, I can understand why some would want to start asap, rather than waiting until they have saved thousands on their own to start.