+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any secret tips for catnapping??

Does anyone have any secret tips for catnapping?

My 3 month old has been catnapping during the day since about 8 weeks old. It started as 20min naps and has now thankfully increased to 30min but it's still driving me mad because I feel like I spend more of my day settling him than he does sleeping. Sometimes he'll randomly do a full 45min cycle, if I'm lucky he'll go over into 1h30 or even 2h15 but 90% of the time like clockwork at the 30min mark he wakes up. He's always happy when he wakes up though and if I just leave him he'll lie there and start chatting to himself but eventually call for me and then start crying.

Here are all the tricks I've tried
    - swaddled
    - unswaddled
    - white noise
    - no noise
    - very dark room
    - dim room with lamp on
    - putting him down drowsy
    - putting him down fast asleep
    - putting him to sleep on his side (sometimes helps)
    - make sure he's not too hot/cold
    - dummy (spits it out as soon as he falls asleep and doesn't sleep well because he's wanting to suck constantly)
    - settling at first tired signs
    - waiting until he's very tired
    - top up feed before I settle

Have also tried holding him until the 30min mark passes but he'll still wake up in my arms and then looks for boob to settle. I've even tried sitting next to his bassinet to catch him as soon as he stirs and sometimes I can pat him back to sleep or pick him up and rock him to sleep but mostly he looks wide awake. And if I do manage to eventually resettle him then he'll do a proper sleep but wake up mid cycle very unhappy because he's hungry after all the time that has passed trying to settle him. He'll sleep for hours in the car and will usually resettle easily in the pram if it's moving. I've even given up my morning coffee as a last resort but don't see a noticeable difference so no point in me being exhausted as well.

I follow the feed/play/sleep routine so when he only sleeps for half an hour then it's still an hour and a half until his next feed, I end up doing feed/play/sleep/play and shortening his awake time in between naps. I'm just concerned that he's not getting proper rest from 30min naps even if he's having a few of them in a day.

He's a very alert baby and so curious and switched on. Is it possible some babies just function fine with short naps? Maybe he'll outgrow this phase once he learns to self soothe?

Any tips much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry no advice but I think it can be normal for some babies.
    I've had 6 and this sounds really familiar!
    As frustrating as it is I think you are right and he will likely come out of this phase.
    Around 4-6 months babies make another leap/change whatever you want to call it. They are changing all the time.

It does sound as if you have tried most everything, maybe it will just have to run its course.
    If he is not screaming all the time, getting enough milk and growing babies can survive on lot less sleep than they are supposed to I assure you

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Daughter catnapped from the beginning. It was a nightmare, I was always tired. I realised she slept a little longer after she did a poo. So Every day at around 10am, I would give her a warm bath, and then give her tummy a good massage. I ended up doing a baby massage course, and decided to do a full body massage to relax her. She would often poo soon afterwards. I would then give her a feed and she would go down for a 2-3 hour sleep after that. She did drop naps entirely at age 8 months though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Any secret tips for catnapping??

This comes up constantly as it is extremely common so I'm copying and pasting from a previous thread. Unfortunately there is not much you can do but ride it out- both my girls catnapped before 6 months but are now awesome nappers so try not to stress!! If on the other hand if not napping great AFTER 6 months then there are things you can do to try and fix it. Hang in there xx

"I read that before 6 months there is not much in regards to catnapping you can actually change and they start sleeping longer when they are developmentally ready. It's a milestone they need to reach to start linking their day sleep cycles together.

Dd1 and dd2 grew out of catnapping around 5 months. I found this resource helpful it explains the short nap and tips and tricks https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/...the-short-nap/"

ETA: I got really good at doing things in 40 minute blocks lol!!!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 07-03-2017 at 10:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! Reassuring to know it's likely a phase. hes at the beginning of his 4th leap now as he was 11 days overdue so won't expect anything for a few weeks then hope it settles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @MrsVZ it sounds like you are doing everything right! For my dd it was just a time thing as frustrating as that is. She would only sleep 35-40 minutes until she was about 5-6 months old (she was a month premature though) and then naturally stretched her day sleeps out to 1.5hr+. Then her night sleep went to crap for 2-3 months but by 8 months she was doing 2 x 1.5-2hr day sleeps and 1 or 2 overnight wake ups. At 12 months she started reliably sleeping through 7:30-7:30. She's now 20 months on one day sleep and will sleep 2-3hrs then and sleeps through pretty much every night. So hopefully time will change things. When they start getting more active too with rolling, sitting, crawling, standing, walking etc I think many babies (not all) sleep better.
    The only things that we have pretty religiously stuck by (after going to sleep school at 7 months due to night waking) are day routine (I always wake her for the day by 8am and wake from her nap by 3pm, consistency in approach (dark, white noise, sleeping bag) and as much as possible to be home for sleeps. Which I don't find too restrictive but some people do a but I have one of those babies/toddlers that doesn't cope well out of a routine.
    Hoping you get a break soon! Those days are long with catnappers

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have written my question for me! It's exactly what I'm going through ... I can't get 10 mins to myself in the day. It feels like all I do all day is try and get Bub to sleep. I'm considering sleep school. Has anyone heard good reports?
    I hope it's a phase and things get easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy2017 View Post
    You have written my question for me! It's exactly what I'm going through ... I can't get 10 mins to myself in the day. It feels like all I do all day is try and get Bub to sleep. I'm considering sleep school. Has anyone heard good reports?
    I hope it's a phase and things get easier!
    Unfortunately it wasn't a phase for us and my son still catnaps at 5 months old! He only manages 30min naps at a time, occasionally he'll go 1.5hr only during his morning nap.
    I've had one phone consultation with QEC in Melbourne who bulk bill the service. They made a few suggestions but a lot of it I was already doing and their advice hasn't really worked for us because my son is very alert. So I have a follow up in 2 weeks where I'm hoping they will offer for me to come in for a day so they can actually meet him and see why it's not as simple as sitting next to his cot expecting him to just nod off on his own. I think my son is just one of those babies that needs a bit of extra help to fall asleep and stay asleep, so I'm prepared for this to continue for another month but once he's six months I hope to start seeing some improvement because he should be able to self settle by then. He knows how to because he often does it at night but he can't seem to do it from being awake. I can often put him down drowsy, but if there's anything exciting to see then there's no chance. We also hit the 4 month sleep regression 3 weeks ago and it's been rough! He went from waking once or twice a night just to feed to waking every 2 hours! He has some good nights randomly but mostly he's up 3-4 times a night now.

There are a few sleep centres that bulk bill so just Google. Good luck! But don't stress until around 5/6 months and just make sure you're following the guidelines as best you can to help baby along with good habits from around 3 months.
    Last edited by MrsVZ; 25-04-2017 at 08:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the other responses but both mine were catnappers. They only grew out of it when they were having just one nap.. So around 15 months for us. But both were great sleepers at night so I just got used to not having the long sleeps during the day and just ran with it. I never ever had any luck resettling or getting those day sleeps to stretch out so to look after my mental health I stopped trying, got them up and went out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a catnapper ( I was lucky to get 30mins a day at one stage!)
    I can say that the only thing that helped was save our sleep. I followed that routine with the eating/sleeping times ( within reason) and now I get 2 solid hour/ hour and a half naps a day. I was pretty surprised at how quickly it worked . Now if I hear my 7 month old awake ( sometimes he starts babbling 30mins) I leave him and most of the time he resettled himself
    Though maybe it worked for me because it was a routine. Before that we were pretty all over the place and I think he was just getting overtired