+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We recently returned to Australia after living overseas for a few years and had no rental history in Australia (and no references from our landlord overseas).

I wrote a cover letter with our application form and explained the situation, we didn't have all the 'required' evidence (ie. no references, no payslips as I had only just started a new job and husband wasn't employed yet at all due to visa conditions) - so I provided other evidence that I thought was useful as evidence of our 'good character' and used the letter to explain all that.

We got approved for both the places we applied for straight up, so it worked out fine.

Everyone has to start somewhere and I think they understand that, but I definitely think the cover letter helped us out a lot as the application on it's own would have looked a bit poor otherwise.

Another tip - for places we were really sure we were interested in, I prepared the application forms and letter in advance and took them with me to the open for inspection and handed them to the agent personally on the day. Meant we were first in, and also that they had a (friendly) face to put to the name.
    Last edited by ivyninja; 06-03-2017 at 11:45.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ivyninja For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (06-03-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep - just "living with family" is totally enough. Real Estate Agents do understand that people want to move out from living with family. You dont have to explain individual circumstances ..

good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (06-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    I think when agents ask why you're leaving your current property they're really just interested in whether or not you have to leave due to eviction or other tenancy issues. They're not interested in personal or familial issues.
    I would just say something like "have been staying with family since arriving in Australia" or something like that.
    Yep, we ask how long you've been at your current address and why you are leaving purely as your application and first meeting is all we get to go on when approving tenants so we need an idea of how "stable" you are as a tenant and why, if at all, you move around so much
    As much info as you can give the better and as pp have all said be honest, your staying with family as you've just moved here and you want your own space
    Definitely put down your casual employment details and last pay slips and all Centrelink payments and landlords do like a covering letter as it seems more personal (all applications get sent to the landlords so covering letters stand out!)
    Good luck !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Another hot tip: please, please do all your photocopying yourself. I was a rental receptionist and it really looked bad if people rocked up to the office and expected us to do all their document copies. I was flat out busy with admin and answering phones, such a pain in the @$$ to have to do that. Use the library photocopier if you have to.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mtanenui View Post
    @frankie46 re: casual status. Is it still possible if I use my pay slips for the agency when I haven't worked since January?
    Definitely, every bit helps, and you can include a description of your work situation in your covering letter, like a previous poster suggested.

You're very welcome

10. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a while we lived with a friend (we weren't on the lease) so he just did a letter advising how long we had lived there and how much we were paying a week in rent. They dealt with it similarly to a reference in that they called him to confirm the details and also ask about us as flat mates.
    Rental places are used to people living with family or newly arrived people etc so they have to be flexible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanabananah For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a property manager .. what state are you in ? Where I am it's def a tenants market ! Make sure you can afford the property - rent to be no more then 30% of your income , provide all documentation , all income counts inc Centrelink and casual employment , don't apply for the best most expensive , start small and prove yourself , company's like direct connect on apps help you organise your electricity ect to be turned on , you need to sort your own bond( easybond ) is great !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone, we got the call that we have been accepted for 3/3 homes we applied for thank you all for everything, we move in on SUNDAY

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtanenui For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (07-03-2017),Elijahs Mum  (07-03-2017),frankie46  (07-03-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Thank you everyone, we got the call that we have been accepted for 3/3 homes we applied for thank you all for everything, we move in on SUNDAY

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yay!! That's so awesome! Congrats

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

mtanenui  (07-03-2017)