+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybump08 View Post
    We conceived DS via IUI in Brisbane & I was not told I had to lose weight. Just I was only allowed to put on x amount of weight during my pregnancy. I did 2 IUI's both resulted in pregnancy but 1st ended in m/c. I used a FS/OBGYN associated with Monash IVF.

For DD we used a different clinic & they had requirements that I had to be under 30 BMI to access IVF. Whilst trying to lose weight we did 4 cycles of IUI, all BFN. They had no issues with my weight for IUI, just IVF. One of the reasons they gave me is the drugs are less effective the more overweight you are, for me this was true. Even after losing 15kg I didn't respond to the drugs, only had 1 decent sized follicle so they cancelled the rest of the cycle & did IUI instead. No one thought it would work but DD arrived 38wks later .

We didn't need donor sperm. However DH has 96% abnormal sperm & I have PCO.

I've never been able to lose weight on my own no matter what I did (a side effect of PCO). Add in a severe spinal injury which left me unable to do anything more than gentle stretches. It was a very very hard road to get to IVF. In the end I did 12wks of Jenny Craig & lost 15kg by diet alone. Not sure if this is an option for you but thought I'd mention it.
    Thank u
    If u don't mind me asking did u have a similar bmi to me? Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a size 24 and was just told to try to lose weight. If anyone wants you to not try before losing weight they aren't your clinic.

I've been a patient at Life Fertility and QFG in Brisbane and Monash in Melb.

Like a previous poster when I was pregnant by metabolism suddenly started working and I didn't gain any weight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not true about the 1 Dr thing. I've seen 2 different FS and my weight hasn't stopped treatment.

If you are in QLD I would highly recommend Warren De Ambrosis at QFG, no wait for donor sperm and he is wonderful and caring. Make an appointment and get on his cancelation list and maybe use that time to work on your health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @mummymaybe The 1 doctor thing was info for people in Western Australia only...

I don't know about other states, only Western Australia....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alittlebitofadiva View Post
    @mummymaybe The 1 doctor thing was info for people in Western Australia only...

I don't know about other states, only Western Australia....
    No worries, was just clarifying this isn't the case everywhere.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

alittlebitofadiva  (06-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter was 6 pounds and 11 ounces Jesus what drugs was I on when I typed 12 pounds. She was a premie. Lol.

I know of someone with a definite genetic component to her weight have great success with jenny Craig. Jenny craig may sound expensive but it's a drop in the ocean compared to IVF costs. Just worth considering Jenny craig.

I am going to do it. I have booked a consult and will tell them about my non existent metabolism. Most don't or won't organise a diet below 1200 calories at this level I gain a kilo a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in Perth and when I started looking into IVF there were only two clinics with a donor sperm program, and both had a BMI limit of 35. My BMI was 56 and I had several health issues that my GP thought would cause difficulties while pregnant. Perhaps if I had been only a bit overweight and no issues it would have been different. I lost the weight and resolved the issues, but had trouble conceiving.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skeeter For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow @skeeter congrats on losing the weight...that is a massive achievement to go from a bmi of 56 to under 35!!!

Have you thought about trying Traditional Chinese Medicine with your fertility treatment?

I'm looking into it at the moment and have been recommended to Chinawest in Fremantle with Dr Wade James by someone on this forum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alittlebitofadiva For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @alittlebitofadiva I actually ended up having surgery to achieve it - that's how desperately I wanted children. I haven't thought about traditional Chinese medicine actually. I do take a lot of supplements. I've had acupuncture recommended to me a lot of times, but I don't like needles. I've had to learn to like them a bit after four stim cycles!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't matter how you get there it's still a huge achievement!

I have considered weight loss surgery as well but I was worried that it would add too much time to my journey...

Can I ask (only answer if you don't mind) which type you had and how long from your surgery before you could start IVF?

I plan to go hard with IVF this year and if we don't have any luck I was thinking about the sleeve...I just turned 37 so I know time is not on my side unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have acupuncture. I think they do a range of things. I hate needles too but I'm going to at least try it. I have heard it's really relaxing.