+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ivf, overweight and feeling lost

Hi everyone I need help

I am going to starting to undertake the journey into mother hood soon using donor sperm, I am unsure at this stage if I will be getting ivf or not but I am thinking I will have to, so my question is
    Will they allow me to get ivf with donor sperm if I am overweight?
    I have struggled with my weight my whole life, I have tried and tried to lose weight but I'm struggling. I am so so scared that this is going to ruin my chances of having a baby. Please help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh Hun.

Truely it depends on the clinic. Westmead fertility centre does not treat over weight ladies. They do have BMI requirements.

I went to two other clinics none of those have BMI requirements. They said try to loose some but we won't tell you no if you can't loose it.

I have a metabolism issue. I only loose weight on 900cals or less. I lost weight whilst pregnant. I got metabolism!!!

I started at 95kgs and I'm 164cm tall. I got pregnant from ICSI with donor sperm . And straight after the birth I was 80kgs!! Yay! And DD was in old money 12pounds 6 ounces. The midwives were worried I was loosing weight.

So don't give up hope! Some like you to be lower BMI of 30.

Hugs!!!
    Mysticfalls

I came out of my bubhub break to answer you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

tam27  (05-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some FS.. Including mine..Dr Waz was not concerned on BMI.. But depends on the clinic.

I am not sure if you are single or not but Technically medicare sees you as socially infertile and will only pay a benefit if you have s medical reason to use IVF straight up or make you do 2 iui's first. I would check with any clinic you are interested in how they treat single women. Some are more sympathetic than others. Obviously if time is not on your side you may want to go straight to ivf for your best chance., but may not be given this option.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are you in @tam27?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The cheap clinics might be picky but the other ones should be fine with it. I'm obese and was told to try to lose weight but they rarely recommend holding back treatment as the age of eggs is more important than BMI.

However if you're very very obese they might not be able to put you under for egg pick up.

I'm a solo mother by choice and jumped straight into IVF and Medicare rebate applied as I have low AMH and I'm PCO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alittlebitofadiva View Post
    What state are you in @tam27?
    Qld

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    The cheap clinics might be picky but the other ones should be fine with it. I'm obese and was told to try to lose weight but they rarely recommend holding back treatment as the age of eggs is more important than BMI.

However if you're very very obese they might not be able to put you under for egg pick up.

I'm a solo mother by choice and jumped straight into IVF and Medicare rebate applied as I have low AMH and I'm PCO.
    Hi my bmi is 43 and I'm a size 18-20. I really hope I can still go though this but am going to try really really hard the next couple of month to lose a few kg. I'm just so worried, i can't wait to be a mum.
    Thank u for your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great state to be in.. No or short cooling off periods., plenty of donor sperm options and great clinic choices.

I too am a solo mother by choice., low AMH and blocked tubes allowed me to skip straight to IVF.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

tam27  (05-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi just thought I would put this info up to help anyone in wa...

There is only 1 doctor willing to help if your bmi is over 35. Yes that's right...1 doctor!!!
    @tam27 be careful how you lose weight as I have heard some methods (shakes I think) can affect your egg quality. Probably best to get a professional opinion on it. Good luck with it all!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alittlebitofadiva For This Useful Post:

tam27  (05-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We conceived DS via IUI in Brisbane & I was not told I had to lose weight. Just I was only allowed to put on x amount of weight during my pregnancy. I did 2 IUI's both resulted in pregnancy but 1st ended in m/c. I used a FS/OBGYN associated with Monash IVF.

For DD we used a different clinic & they had requirements that I had to be under 30 BMI to access IVF. Whilst trying to lose weight we did 4 cycles of IUI, all BFN. They had no issues with my weight for IUI, just IVF. One of the reasons they gave me is the drugs are less effective the more overweight you are, for me this was true. Even after losing 15kg I didn't respond to the drugs, only had 1 decent sized follicle so they cancelled the rest of the cycle & did IUI instead. No one thought it would work but DD arrived 38wks later .

We didn't need donor sperm. However DH has 96% abnormal sperm & I have PCO.

I've never been able to lose weight on my own no matter what I did (a side effect of PCO). Add in a severe spinal injury which left me unable to do anything more than gentle stretches. It was a very very hard road to get to IVF. In the end I did 12wks of Jenny Craig & lost 15kg by diet alone. Not sure if this is an option for you but thought I'd mention it.