+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pros/Cons of 4 children

Just wondering how much #4 changed things for you? What age gaps do you have and how were your pregnancies? Any other info please (finances, cars you drive, dynamics, couple time) thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    #4 slotted in quite easy to our family. He had a few health problems right at the start but after that was sorted I couldn't even remember when there were only 3.
    Our gaps are 21 months, 14 months and 16 months.
    We didn't really have couple time before and we still don't except late at night some nights, so no change there. We currently drive a Mazda CX-9 but are swapping it for a Troop Carrier shortly. Finances haven't changed too much for the moment either. I'm sure it will when they are older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have six but four at home right now. The older two are teenagers and live with my mother.

The only con I can think of is having to upgrade a car.
    Otherwise I think if you manage well with 3 having another isn't that much of a change.
    It would be especially easy if you had been able to reuse clothes and things from the previous children. That saves money.
    Having to move out of a sedan can be costly though. Some people may already have a bigger vehicle though if they wanted an extra seat.
    We went from a falcon to a kluger but now we have an imax.
    My gaps with my 4 youngest are 2 yrs, 2yrs 9mths and just a week under 3 years. None of that was planned just how quickly I got pregnant again.
    They are good gaps I think. The 2 yr one was the hardest simply because my daughter was just entering that defiant phase.

Another edit to add that the pregnancies and births actually were easier for me the more I had. My actual 4th and 6h birth I consider my best.

Couple time I don't think it's really changed from 3 to 4.
    Last edited by Bluebirdgirl; 04-03-2017 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really don't think there was much difference going from 3 - 4. Depending on your wants for the kids, you may need a bigger house (if you don't want kids sharing) and obviously a bigger car. 2 of my girls share and 2 have their own rooms, we've done 2 and 2 sharing that worked absolutely fine too.
    To answer some of your questions my girls are now 10,8,7&5 so exactly 5 years between 1st and 4th. I love cars and upgrade quite often but my most recent car is the new Kia Carnival. It's perfect for the larger family especially with all the boot space for prams, school bags and/or luggage for travel if you road trip.
    I personally don't think couple time would change between 1 child and 4 children unless your babysitter/family member won't take on 4 children to allow you time out.
    Finances - All families handle finances completely different, what's good for one may not be for others. Our girls do lots of expensive sports, I'm a shopaholic and enjoy frequent outings so we require a larger wage. I've been lucky that DH has a decent income however I've just started working myself as we have big plans for a new large house and pool etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We needed a bigger car
    We need a bigger house or an extension
    Things cost more
    Kids fight

More laughter
    Extra help from older siblings
    More love to give and recieve

All pregnancies went well. No complications

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    #4 slotted in quite easy to our family. He had a few health problems right at the start but after that was sorted I couldn't even remember when there were only 3.
    Our gaps are 21 months, 14 months and 16 months.
    We didn't really have couple time before and we still don't except late at night some nights, so no change there. We currently drive a Mazda CX-9 but are swapping it for a Troop Carrier shortly. Finances haven't changed too much for the moment either. I'm sure it will when they are older.
    Wow they are close! How did your body cope with them close? My gaps are 13 months and then 22 months. I found the 13 month gap far easier but not if that's cause there was only 2. What do you think was your easiest gap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did/does every one have all 4 harnessed? We have 3 rear facing at the moment and not sure about another anchor in our current car! Housing is luckily not a huge prob as my DHs work provides us with housing and the size depends how many children so we are lucky there! But car is one that has me stumped!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also were your labours really quick? My last was 3cm to pushing in under35 mins so not sure if he even quicker or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    Wow they are close! How did your body cope with them close? My gaps are 13 months and then 22 months. I found the 13 month gap far easier but not if that's cause there was only 2. What do you think was your easiest gap?
    My body mostly coped okay. I'm overweight as I was just never able to lose the weight in between. But that's also because I'm lazy and like food hah. I got used to being pregnant I think. My youngest is nearly 3 and I still feel lost without my belly.
    I had hyperemesis with my second pregnancy and that was hard, I also have horrible joints so my pelvis always went out of place but apart from that there wasn't anything of note.

I do like the little gaps better. Their companionship is just amazing. Plus if you're already doing nappies and night wakings, what's the extra if there is another child in there really.

My labours were 12 hours, 4 hours, 3.5 hours and 4.5 hours. #1, #2 and #4 were induced, normal deliveries though. And it's funny, because most of the "pushing" contractions happened while I was sitting on a Swiss ball for my forth Bub, so when I hopped off and climbed on the bed, he kind of just shot out. It was like in a cartoon haha.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pros/Cons of 4 children

From 3-4 was mainly the car we already had enough room in the house it just meant the 2 big girls had to share (till this day probably my biggest headache)
    My age gaps are 2yrs 3yrs and 5yrs. We waited 5yrs to have dd3 purely because then the youngest would be at school. Again we have waited the 5yrs for dd3 to be at school to even consider #5
    I found this soooooo much easier for me as it meant the day times I didn't have to tear myself in 3 between toddler, baby and house work. Also because oh dh's work it meant that he could do school pick up on his way home from work. Made sleep time for me heaps easier.

My kids don't get along at all almost ever. No matter the age gap they fight.

As for pregnancy they were all pretty much the same.