+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Tell me about how you were proposed to...

And did your partner ask your parents for permission first?

No idea why but it popped into my head today and I thought it'd make a good thread.

XH (and his mate) asked my dad for permission so I always tell dad it's his fault I got married because I couldn't let him down PMSL.

It was my birthday on the day we got engaged. We went to the tavern for tea and he pretended there was something in his boot, knelt down and proposed. Just as he proposed, our ticket got called out as the winner of a meat tray ROFL. Then two drunk ladies came up to me and said "DON'T DO IT, DON'T GET MARRIED"!!! Should've listened

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We were on our first 'big' holiday together to NZ. He interrupted my show (American Chopper) and I was cranky at him. He got down on one knee but no ring as he wanted me to choose so we went the next day.

He did not ask my dad for permission. My dad is a douche canoe.

We did not tell anyone until we got back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were on a holiday staying at a lovely rural hotel. We had dinner at the restaurant on site and walked back to our room which was full of candles, flowers, chocolates and my favourite song playing.

A combination of shock and the candle smoke made me have an asthma attack while DH was down on one knee.

I hate having attention drawn to me so this was perfect, I would hate a public proposal.

DH asked dad, who told my sister. Then while visiting the day before our holiday my sister found the ring because she "needed to make sure it was ok".

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

JR03  (03-03-2017),Yogis Mumma  (06-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH didn't ask my dad. He may have jokingly asked after the fact haha.
    He 'proposed' or more accurately showed his intention to by phoning me at work on a Friday and asking for my ring size which freaked me out as he said he was just going to pop into a jewellery shop on his way home and buy a ring . This from the 36 year old man who had never bought any piece of jewellery ever before so I'm like back away from that ledge dude. And he did. And instead we went shopping together the next day I picked a few different styles I liked and DH picked the one he liked.
    When it was ready a week or 2 later he was waiting for me after work with a champagne for us and cooking dinner and he got down on one knee in the kitchen and asked if I would do him the honour of becoming his wife we got married just under 4 months later in a private ceremony on the beach with 4 guests then had a massive African honeymoon. It all suited us perfectly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (06-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH and I had been dating for probably about a year, however he had just spent the previous 4 months away from me in his home country due to visa requirements. It was Valentine's Day, and I had gone to work really early in the morning, so I was tired and grumpy. When I got home he was acting all strange and clingy (not like him at all). Me being me just thought "Whatever, you weirdo", and went into the kitchen to start dinner. He came in and hovered around for ages, which made me annoyed because he was in my way while I was trying to cook. So I'm there audibly sighing, and at one point snapped, "Seriously, this is a one person job. Surely there's something else you could be doing right now??" while the poor guy is trying to work up the courage to ask me

In the end he waited until I was done cooking, then just got the ring out of his pocket and handed it to me. He didn't get down on one knee ... in fact, he didn't actually even ask the question, he was so nervous! I felt like the world's biggest cow for being so cranky haha!

It wasn't romantic at all - it was very 'no fuss' ... just like us We eloped about a month later, with just my Mum and Dad and little sister as witnesses. Despite the fact that the celebrant forgot to show up on the day and my Mum had to track him down at his home, I wouldn't change a thing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been married twice but not proposed to at all.
    I think this should have given me some indication of what the marriages would be like.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-03-2017),Ruby_Tuesday15  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes dh rang dad and asked. But i didnt know until we were married. It was more of a heads up as we were on the other side of the country than asking for permission.
    He flew me down to Melbourne to meet his family. On a day out he asked me to go look at St Patrick's Cathedral in the city. We walked in and he asked me to pray with him at the alter. Where he got down on his knee and asked me. Straight after he took around the corner to see The Phantom of the Opera which i had told him was my dream date.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-03-2017),Yogis Mumma  (06-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No didn't ask dad.

He was planning to propose at his dads on xmas and forgot the ring... (thank godness I don't like being center of attention.)

So like almost a mth later we went to go to dinner nothing was open except a pizza shop so we grabbed pizza and sat in the park near the back car park (I now walk through that park every day on my way to work) and he handed me a ring box and said " you know what to do"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JET09 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (06-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH didn't ask my dad but they knew it was coming. We where staying in the Gold Coast for the week & when to Dreamworld for the day he screamed it out at the very top of the tower of terror at first I didn't quite get what he had said but when we got off everyone was just standing around waiting to hear what my answer was. Didn't get my ring for about a month later 2 hrs before our engagement party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    We were in Dubai, on our way home from a friend's wedding in Scotland. We stayed at Atlantis the palm and he suggested we get dressed up and go to one of the restaurants at the hotel.

We had just left our room and DH pretended he forgot something and went back to get it. I was waiting in the hallway and he didn't come straight back, so I went back in the room and he was just standing there. I asked him what he forgot and he got down on one knee and proposed.

We didn't go to a restaurant at the hotel, a limo picked us up and took us to the Burg al Arab for dinner.

He asked my dad a week before we left and Dad didn't tell my mum. DH later told me my dad cried. My dad is not at all emotional!