+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing nap schesule

Just looking for advice from mums who have experience in nap changes with their babes.
    My DS is almost 12 months old, he has been on a nice regular schedule of 2 1.5 hour naps a day, one at 10am and one at 2:30pm. Last week he started going down for his 10am nap and sleeping for 3-4 hours, in the past I would have woken him but I left him to see if he was organically changing from 2 naps - 1, because he did this a few days in a row I took it as a sign to adjust his nap schedule. I changed slowly over the weekend to get him to go down closer to midday so he wasn't sleeping through lunch and would still get all of his solids at regular times, but ever since I changed he has gone back to only napping for the usual 1.5 hours which is throwing everything out of wack re meal times and sleep times.
    Have I started too early?
    Do I persist for a few more days? (it's been 2 days since I started the new schedule properly)
    What have you experienced with nap scheduling?
    Thanks in advance, this nap stuff gets me every time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't do routines but my DD is almost 11 months and has had a few days where she sleeps 1 nap rather than 2.

I don't think she is quite ready though. For us she is leaping and teething and that is affecting her sleep.

My DS used to only sleep 2 hours max on his 1 nap a day.

Does your baby seem happy on 1? Or look to have 2?

I would just fit solids around sleep. But I am not routine so we just go with the flow on the day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Changing nap schesule

It *may* have been too early.
    My eldest dropped to one nap at 15 months.
    Dd2 still happily naps 2 times a day at 16 months.

It would depend on your ds's behaviour whether you want to persist with one map or not.

Though it can take 6 weeks or so to get used to one nap- it takes awhile for their bodies to consolidate the nap.

Either way changing schedules/dropping naps is a pita and is never easy really anyway even if they are ready for it

ETA: and agree with @twinklify to fit solids around sleep. Either an early lunch or morning tea and big lunch after. As dds are early birds they have early lunch and early tea

Oh and dd1 only napped 1.5 hours for her day nap anyway and was happy with that (at 2 she started stretching out to 2-3 hours - awesome lol). Apparently 1.5 - 3 hours a day is the ballpark as long as they are happy
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 03-03-2017 at 15:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess it depends on how he is coping on only 1 nap of 1.5hours? Is he exhausted in the afternoon and going to bed earlier or really difficult to handle? How is he handing the longer morning wake time?
    Just shy of 12 months does sound a bit young to drop to one nap in general - there's always exceptions though. The long sleeps may just have been a growth spurt/something else making him tired needing a longer sleep.
    With my dd she went to 1 nap at 16 months. Prior to this she had 2 naps of 1.5hrs and I had to wake her from both of them to maintain meal times/bedtime. When she moved to 1 nap I didn't have to gradually adjust her nap times we just went straight in as she was ready for it. I knew she was ready as she was tolerating longer wake times easily meaning her bedtime was getting to be around 8pm as she was getting up at 4:30pm. When she moved to one nap her sleep varies from 1.5-3hrs but generally 2-3hrs. She's 20 months now.
    I miss the 2 nap days! Having 2 breaks in the day was so good
    I read this when I was looking to make the change and found it useful:
    Signs your child still needs two naps a day
    • Your child is under 12 months old
    • When you put your child down for a nap, she plays, resists, or fusses for a while, but always ends up sleeping for an hour or more
    • When you take your child for car rides during the day, she usually falls asleep
    • If your child misses a nap she’s fussy or acts tired until the next nap or bedtime
    • Your child is dealing with a change in her life (such as a new sibling, sickness, or starting daycare) that disrupts her nap schedule
    • Your child misses naps when you’re on the go, but at home she takes two good naps

Signs your child is ready to cut back to one nap
    • When you put your child down for a nap she plays or fusses before falling asleep, and then takes only a short nap, or doesn’t fall asleep at all
    • Your child can go for car rides early in the day and not fall asleep in the car
    • When your child misses a nap she’s happy and energetic until the next nap or bedtime
    • Your child sleeps well for one of her naps, but totally resists the other nap

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (03-03-2017),Tdez  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I'm always a bit clueless when it comes to the naps and make it more stressful for myself than it needs to be!
    I will go back to two naps, it probably was just a bit of a growth spurt, he seems bigger every time he wakes up.
    I have decided to give go with the flow a go, live on the edge lol. He is tricky with tired signs, he is go go go go go go go go TIRED NOW EVERYBODY RUN! I have watched him so closely to look for all the obvious ones, hence why I have always followed a schedule. He eats quite a lot through the day so I should be able to manage the solids and milk around his sleep.
    Thanks heaps for the advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdez View Post
    Thanks ladies, I'm always a bit clueless when it comes to the naps and make it more stressful for myself than it needs to be!
    I will go back to two naps, it probably was just a bit of a growth spurt, he seems bigger every time he wakes up.
    I have decided to give go with the flow a go, live on the edge lol. He is tricky with tired signs, he is go go go go go go go go TIRED NOW EVERYBODY RUN! I have watched him so closely to look for all the obvious ones, hence why I have always followed a schedule. He eats quite a lot through the day so I should be able to manage the solids and milk around his sleep.
    Thanks heaps for the advice.
    If he deals with schedule for sleeps well then I would not change sleep schedule. Go with the flow sleeps works for my kids which is why I do it that way.

But you can always have a looser schedule for food. So don't worry if there is a 'big' meal at a certain time if it is a bad day but just give him a snack or something to get him through sleep and give him a big meal later.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @twinklify. I am doing something in between schedule and flow. I want him to be able to adjust if need be and I need to be less rigid for my own sanity.
    Trying to encourage some quiet Play as well so he doesn't crash so hard when the tired finally hits. It's a work in progress.
    Poor first born Guinea pig.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would let baby lead the way as much as possible. My son was 14 months when he dropped to one nap. He was sleeping 2 x 2 hour naps then all of a sudden one day he wouldn't sleep when I put him down. I tried again later and from that day on he had 1 x 4 hour nap. As he got a bit older it dropped to 3-3.5 hours and now at 3 yo it's closer to 2.5 - 3 hours.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (04-03-2017)