+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help please 4.5 month old

DS has been sleeping pretty badly for a few weeks now, but suddenly in the last couple of days he just hates being laid down. He freaks out as soon as I zip him into his sleeping bag.
    Today I've had him checked out at the doctor for ear infection etc - all clear.
    Every nap it's a 45 minute battle to calm him enough to have a 20-30 minute nap, then bedtime can go on for hours. I also have a toddler who is feeling pretty neglected cos I'm having such a hard time with DS.
    Problem is as soon as I pick him up to feed or comfort him he's wide awake, even in a dark room.
    I know he's tired because he'll nod off to sleep as soon as we get in the car or the pram, having random naps if 10 min or so throughout the day.
    We've tried shorter awake times, longer awake times, feed to sleep, don't feed to sleep, nothing seems to help.
    We have: dark, cool room, white noise, sleeping bag for sleep, he's happy to play in his cot and his room, but just won't be laid down.
    We're going to trial reflux meds but this came on very suddenly and he's quite happy when not being laid down to go to sleep so I'm not hopeful they will work.
    What can I do to help him? I'm getting to the end of my tether and i can get him to sleep in the carrier but he'll only sleep while I'm moving so it's pretty exhausting. I just wish he would have 1 nap so I could get a break!
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if it will help at all but my son has always hated the sleeping bags. When I stopped using them his sleeping settled down. He also hated swaddling so that didn't last long in the beginning as well. I hope you get some good advice!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (03-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, he's been swaddled in those arms up sacks since birth but rolling into his side now so I just transitioned straight to sleeping bag, I might try with no sleeping bag - can't get any worse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He sounds like hes tired...over tired. Babies are weird. They dont sleep if they are over tired, they just get cranky.

Have u started him on solids? It could be that hes hungrier now and not getting enough from bf/formular alone.

Or, what about a dummy or a comforter?
    Failing that, curl up with him on the couch/bed and both have a nap. He might just be going through a 'i want mama' phase.

I would switch off the white noise. Keep things quiet for him.

He sounds over tired...you probably know that. If he falls asleep in the pram/car do that and drive around for half an hour if u have to.

Its really tough when they dont sleep. I totally get this. Sleeplessness is a form of torture!
    Also, could u get your partner to try and get him to sleep...the smell of you could be whats stimulating him. Babies often think of a feed when they see/smell mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou^^ I agree totally overtired! We've decided to take the approach to just do what it takes to get him to sleep for now. Yesterday I ended up swaddling him and feeding/rocking him until he was out, then laid next to him (DD was at daycare) and patted him every time he stirred, he was out for 2 hours!
    He likes the dummy but can't suck it properly I think he never really "got" it as he had a tongue/lip tie we got fixed at 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any advice but I can offer encouragement, it doesn't last, I know when ds was this age we had a terrible time with naps, night waking etc, I was exhausted, he only wanted to sleep on me, I spent a lot of time sleeping in the nursery chair with him, not the recommendation re safe sleeping but I was pretty much at the end of my rope. He is nearly 12 months and sleeps through the night like a dream. Something that did help us was starting a sleep, eat, Play Style schedule which I got from going to sleep school. Maybe talk to the nurse at his next checkup, they should be able to get you into a sleep school, and even if it doesn't help, it's at least one day you get a bit of a break from having to put him.down! I read a book.for the first time in months at sleep school!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you breastfeeding? If you are that is the best way to get them to sleep. There are hormones that are released when feeding that put babies (and mums) to sleep.

Co-sleeping is definitely another way but be careful about doing I on a lounge as many co-sleeping deaths are actually from lounge sharing not safe bed sharing. I am a co-sleeping mum and when done safely it is perfectly safe.

You say he sleeps in the pram than why not put your pram inside and have him sleep in there for day naps. As a Co-sleeper I do not have a cot so when my bub was little I put a lambskin on top of the straps in the pram and had my baby sleep on that. I watched them the whole time and could easily rock them back to sleep.

This is a common age for sleep regression. When you have a non sleeper you just have to do what works. Hope you get some sleep/break soon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to ad that I always breastfed to sleep before putting in the pram. Infact I always breastfeed to sleep until I wean my babies.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did it start when you took away the swaddle? My daughter had an awful time transitioning from the love to dream swaddles. We ended up using sleepy wings so that she still had the comfort of her arms in, but they are a touch bigger and so I felt comfortable that if she rolled, she would be ok.

Otherwise, I've use the pram trick: I used to put him in the pram and roll it back and forward over the edge of the mat until he went to sleep and then drove it into his bedroom and left him lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (04-03-2017)