Threaded View

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Experiences with antidepressants during pregnancy and breastfeeding?

Hi all,
    I have a history of major depression/anxiety but I chose to go off my antidepressants 2 months before falling pregnant (in consultation with my doctor). I'm now 18 weeks pregnant and feel like I may be slipping back into depression… the old signs and symptoms are developing. So I'm considering going back on antidepressants but am taking the decision very seriously as I'm worried about potential pharmacological side effects on the baby.
    Would really appreciate hearing from other mums who have personal experience with being on antidepressants during pregnancy and/or breastfeeding, e.g. were there any negative impacts, short-term or long-term, on the baby that you know of? I'm aware that SSRIs (excluding the SSRI paroxetine/Paxil) are generally considered ‘safe’ in pregnancy and breastfeeding, but the research is still somewhat limited and is not definitive, so I’m worried about committing to medication.
    In saying this, I’m struggling with being productive at work, and crying more and more, not sleeping that well, and finding life extra hard; all things that have happened when I’ve relapsed in the past.
    Thanks, R

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to golittlerabbit For This Useful Post:

Sunshine87 (13-02-2018)