ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you have a cheap laptop for a child in year 7?

We were thinking of getting YDS a laptop just for homework and stuff but can't really before more than $300 right now. We all have tablets but the only other laptop he has access to is DH's which is a work one so not ideal.

Is it a total waste to get a cheap one?

This is one I've been looking at. I don't really know what's good or not for computers.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/compu...-6-laptop.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do they have BYOD (bring your own device) requirements at school?

Reason I ask is because my kids can only use school approved devices at school ie the ones the school sells.

I'm on my phone at the moment so haven't clicked on your link. Cheap laptops can be fine. My only concern would be the specs ie screen size, battery life, memory. As long you are happy with them, it should be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He doesn't need to bring it to school. We just want it mainly for him to do homework on like essays. And to be able to surf the internet for research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No expert but we have had a few different things over the years.
    The screen is small which isn't a big deal but a bit bigger is nicer.
    It will run fine.
    I doubt it's coming with any sort of software at all, so to be able to type anything up you will need to buy some sort of Windows programs like word etc.
    which are not particularly cheap but really you can't do anything without them. Not even write a decent letter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    No expert but we have had a few different things over the years.
    The screen is small which isn't a big deal but a bit bigger is nicer.
    It will run fine.
    I doubt it's coming with any sort of software at all, so to be able to type anything up you will need to buy some sort of Windows programs like word etc.
    which are not particularly cheap but really you can't do anything without them. Not even write a decent letter.
    Oh yeah...I forgot about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeh super annoying.
    You only get very limited trials on even $1000 laptops or at least we did last time we paid that much for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are you in OP?

My kids are at a state school in Qld. We got an email home from the school saying that Qld Dept of Education has a subscription for Microsoft products (word, excel etc). Anyway it means that each Qld states school student can access them for free at home on one device.

You may have similar in your state?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    What state are you in OP?

My kids are at a state school in Qld. We got an email home from the school saying that Qld Dept of Education has a subscription for Microsoft products (word, excel etc). Anyway it means that each Qld states school student can access them for free at home on one device.

You may have similar in your state?
    Actually I do seem to remember something about that. I didn't pay attention at the time because it wasn't on my radar. I'll look into it. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Last year I bought a brand new fancy dell laptop from grays online and it was less than half price and came with the original dell 2 year warranty. Definitely worth a look!
    Aside from that the cheaper laptops tend to be older slower models but can otherwise be fine just won't be fancy fast and pretty like the exxy ones but do check it comes with the operating system and software you need.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

CanadianKangaroo  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also second Grays Online

We buy majority of our computers and laptops from Grays and have for years. Just make sure you get the warranty.

DD12 has a laptop for school so we paid over $2000 for hers, but it has insurance that includes damage, loss or stolen for 3 years. She takes hers to and from school everyday and all their text books are online. This is the only computer in the last 8 years we have not bought from Grays as they don't have insurance.

Don't get an ultra cheap one they are so slow and it will drive him mad. If you want to run Microsoft Word without going nuts you need something a little faster (with space).

Double check with the school as to whether they are introducing a BYOD program as it would be a shame to spend money on a laptop now and then turn around and have to buy another as it didn't meet the requirements.