ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Oh and powerpumping is great for your supply too
    Didn't help mine. sorry. I would never do that again.

I had skin to skin contact, I gave her colostrum. And that was pretty much it. I wish someone said to me. Ok so your supply is $hit! So what. Lets express as much as you can even if its only 70mls and we will formula feed the rest.

My bub was premmie, she had weak suck which wasn't found until 2months of age. But to top that all off I had no supply. We started bottle feeding from day 3 as well as the nurses feeding formula through a nasogastric tube.

When I did express, pump or tried to breast feed I never got the empty feeling, never got the tingles of it filling up, never got anymore than 70mls not even from expressing, or power pumping nothing! The LC where I birthed must have slept with the boss to get that job as useless as tits on a bull!!!!!!!!

I will research breast feeding and LC and will be certain to say what happened last time.

I will say the ABA was NOT helpful the first time at all. I swear I will never ever rely on them again! Sorry its not for me at all.

Thank you for your replies.
    Last edited by MysticFalls; 01-03-2017 at 21:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If there are private ones that can come to your house I will pay for that too.

No need for a doula my first came in 2 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    With my first it also didn't matter how much I expressed, I still barely got anything.

I can certainly say not all LC's are equal. This time I paid a private one to come to my house. It wasn't too expensive.

I'm also not a fan of the ABA. I have to remind myself that they are volunteering and I probably didn't get the best one when I called.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @MysticFalls breastfeeding a premmie baby is a hard slog. I managed it, but she was my fourth child and I had a lot of breastfeeding experience under my belt. Getting your milk to come in with a pump is not easy. Plus a small baby with an uncoordinated suck means that even with the baby is put the breast, they may not actually effectively remove milk from the breast. Given that removing milk stimulates milk production, it is not surprising that a lot of prem mums struggle to breastfeed. When DD was in the NICU I noticed that a lot of mums couldn't keep up with pumping and ended up leaving hospital with a fully formula fed baby. I also noticed that the nurses in the unit gave pretty sh!t breastfeeding advice to the mums. I told them to get lost when they tried to correct what I was doing. I knew I was feeding correctly for me.

What actually saved me in the end has her being rehospitalised 6 weeks after she was sent home. I spent a week in hospital basically sitting and feeding her while she was attached to oxygen (had RSV). I felt my milk came in properly at that point and I was finally engorged. She was 17 weeks old at that point.

If you go to term with your next baby, I think you will have a completely different breastfeeding experience.

If at any point you do feel your milk supply is low, I would suggest lying in bed for a few days with your baby and doing nothing but feeding. I do realise that this is often very difficult for any mum, especially when there are older children. However it is a very effective way to increase supply.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 02-03-2017 at 08:25.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    - Does having a c-section affect your chances of breastfeeding?

My milk took longer to come in with a C-section

- Does being induced affect your chances?
    Being indused had no effect on breastfeeding infact my induced baby was my only baby who was placed on my chest immediately after birth and made their way to my breast and started feeding straight away.

- Does immediate and extended skin to skin following the birth help?
    Definatly, however two of my babies this did not happen with and I went on to successfully feed them. One to 20 months than the other to 2 1/2 years

- Does expressing colostrum before hand help?[/QUOTE]
    i did not do this but have heard of people doing it in case they need to use it in the early days instead of having to use formular if the needed to. I would talk to your midwife or dr before doing it, to get their thoughts.

i found the ABA meetings good as talking to other mums helped heaps and helped to normalise many things for me. There are some great groups on facebook, breastfeeding yummy mummies is one. The best thing I have found to increase your supply is just feed feed feed. It doesn't matter if bub just fed if they are wanting it feed them again. I fed on demand and for as long as bub wanted to feed. When questioned by the baby nurse on first home visit, for my last baby, how many time to you breastfeed a day I stated as many as the baby wants. They wanted a number and I said honestly I don't count I just feed.

I think lack of the right advice and support certainly play a role in many mums not been able to breastfeed for very long (not all as there are some medical reasons).
    I have spoken to many women who have stated they had supply issues and had to switch to formular (I am a bit nosey sometimes lol).
    For many of them I felt that their not knowing more about was what led to them stopping. some of the areas that gave the people I spoke with concerns were

Breasts not feeling full anymore.
    Somewhere around the three month mark your body and baby really start to work together and your breasts do not feel so full anymore. The engorgement goes and your breasts become soft again.

Not being able to pump very much.
    Pumping is by no means any indication as to how much milk your baby gets as babies are more efficient at milking the breasts.

Slow weight gain.
    I am not talking failure to thrive here I am talking about a healthy baby who is gaining some weight but not in accordance to the charts. You really need to look at the baby and not the chart. Some breastfed babies will put on lots of weight at the beginning others as will do it when they are a bit older. Look at other signs such as getting enough wet nappies, the babies skin been hydrated, the baby been happy and content and waking up regularly and being alert.
    Due to the low weight gains many were advised to top up with formular. This can start a vicious circle as demand = Supply. So naturally less demand will mean decreased supply.

The baby no longer fed for very long.
    Some babies get so good at feeding they can become ver efficent power feeders and be finished in 5-10 minutes.

The baby constantly wanted to feed.
    From time to time a baby will do this cluster feeding, especially in the eavening. This is perfectly normal and they will often do it to increase your supply or for comfort or a bit of both.

I wish you all the best with your breastfeeding journey. It certainly is hard to feed a premie (my first was premie) I would be proud of what you did achive. XxooO
    Last edited by Skye Baby; 02-03-2017 at 22:46. Reason: Spelling mistakes