ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I had major supply issues with my first and ended up comping with formula from 6 weeks.

Second time around everything just clicked. My milk came in quickly, DD fed like a champ from day one and gained weight well.

I didn't really do anything differently the second time round. I guess as an experienced mum I had more realistic expectations about life with a newborn and didn't try to rush feeds. DD had a good latch from day one which helped a lot. I also think my body knew what it was doing second time around as well.

Oh actually now I think about it I did keep DD on one side until I hit hindmilk. I don't think that is recommended anymore though. I also joined the ABA and went along to meetings. More for the social aspect but I think just being around other breastfeeding mums made a difference.
    I have only ever offered one side per feed. It's actually what saved my supply when DD2 wasn't able to get the milk out properly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breast feeding

Thanks @SSecret Squirrel

Also, when you feed, do you need to let bub completely drain one side first, before offering the other?

I have found an awesome IBCLC in my area, so if i have any issues early on, i think i will just get her out ASAP, thanks for that handy bit of advice @Renn and @Mamasupial

And sorry if i have the wrong person here @Mamasupial but one thing i have learned from you is that midwives may not pick up on tongue / lip ties and if you just know that your LO has one, to keep persisting and asking someone more experienced until you are satisfied.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You milk will often come in later with an elective c section. Mine didn't come in till bub was 5 days old so by that stage she was starving to death. Had already started bottle feeding by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    Also, when you feed, do you need to let bub completely drain one side first, before offering the other?
    I did yes. I just expressed a bit and if the milk was creamy and white, I knew the breast had been pretty well drained. I found I mostly fed using one side per feed, but obviously if the baby was fussing I offered the second side.

ETA - that's what worked for me. It make take a bit experimentation to see what works best for you and your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was unsuccessful in feeding DS1. I lasted to 4 weeks and switched to formula. I put it down to youth, lack of knowledge and especially lack of support. I had lots of bottle feeding mum's around me saying he should only feed every 4 hours

When pregnant with DS2 I was determined to breastfeed. I joined the ABA and went to their classes while pregnant. The best thing I learned there was that it is hard work, babies can feed anywhere from every 30 minutes to every 3-4 hours. Feeds can take anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour. Pretty much anything goes with a breastfed baby lol

I breastfed DS2 until my supply dried up at 16 weeks preg with DS3. DS2 was 3.5 years. I am feeding DS3 now who is 6.5 months. Both boys are exclusively breast fed.

Arm yourself with knowledge. Join the ABA and go to their classes, see if the hospital you are birthing in has an LC on staff.

As for your questions @MrsMummaButterfly a c section can delay your milk coming in. With DS2 it took 5 days and with DS3 it took 4 days. There is no need to feed formula if they have plenty of wet nappies. Just be prepared for them to spend A LOT of time at the breast to bring your milk in.

Not sure about induction affecting it.

I think skin to skin helps and is important but not the end of the world.

I have never expressed colostrum. However if your worried about something happening during labour or immediately after that may delay you feeding your baby it wouldn't hurt to express and freeze - it can be given to Bub by syringe if needed. BUT don't freak out if you can't express any - many women can't and it has no bearing on your ability to breastfeed!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an induction and it didn't have any issues with my milk, my boobs were rock hard the next day and milk was in within 36hrs of birth.
    My LO had a lip and tongue tie (only the anterior was picked up at the hospital and snipped) and due to her being early (36w) my latching issues were put down to an immature suck (not the case was 100% the ties). As a result I was pumping every 3 hrs until 7 weeks and exclusively feeding ebm whilst attempting to have bub latch and suck.

I found and amazing ibclc to help post the ties being released who was a god send.

I am a big believer in knowledge is power and to never give up on a bad day. This is after ties, thrush, vasospasms and recurrent blocked ducts for the 7months I breastfed my girl for. Unfortunately the blocked ducts got the better of me and they were causing so many issues that I decided to stop, hardest decision but ultimately the right one for us. I hope with next bub my next breastfeeding journey is smoother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I couldn't breastfeed DD1. Supply issues and she couldn't latch.

I've been exclusively breastfeeding DD2 now for nearly a year with no plans to stop anytime soon.

It definitely can be done. The first time around I had no idea, I armed myself with as much info and preparation as I could the second time around. I ate Lactation cookies and drank nursing tea towards the end of the third trimester and during the initial weeks after birth. I hand expressed colostrum with syringes so she wouldn't have to have formula after birth if we had latch issues again. I attended an ABA class and joined up and used the support line in the first weeks. I met with the hospitals' lactation consultant pre birth and explained what had gone wrong the first time around and expressed my desire to get it right this time and because I was so vocal about it she and the midwives was beyond helpful after DD2 was born, she came to see me in the recover ward and helped with the latch asap as did the midwives. I also suffered from flat nipples so bought an Avent nipple extractor.

Good luck, it's hard work but it can be done and it's so worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MrsMummaButterfly, I had a c-sec last year and it affected my supply. Lactation Cookie's, motilium, fenugreek and power pumping all the time. Now I just pump after each feed and a couple extras to keep my milk going. Everyone is different though

With my first I had no issues what so ever I could of fed 3 babies I had that much milk even when ds was 3 months old I had an over supply

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Yup
    I struggled to feed my first, let's face it you're first baby comes with an enormous learning curve so when breastfeeding doesn't come easy something has to give! I expressed what I could for my first for the first 3 to 4 months. Baby number 2 I was determined I was going to succeed and it was rough, really rough but I did and I fed her until she was 18 months old, a feat which I am very proud of.
    I had supply issues (likely caused by a severe PPH) which the only thing that made any impact was high doses of that prescription medication that I can't remember the name of. I really do mean I tried everything as well, I had great support included a wonderful LC who let me borrow her book about supply issues. It took a good few weeks to go from my "L" plates to "P" plates and then a few months to get my "Open" breastfeeding licence.
    The strategies I had in place to succeed included:
    - Knowing where to source quality information and support (LC, ABA etc)
    - Setting an expectation that the baby will likely need more attention and effort from me to feed and settle
    - Applying a feed at every squeak policy, even when they may have recently had a feed / Complete access to my boobs
    - Having a supportive partner who was on board and picked up the slack when I couldn't do things because I was feeding the baby
    - Learning to feed lying down so I could rest and feed at the same time
    - Having a virtual cheer squad on hand where I could vent and cry about how difficult it was and they would all cheer me on

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    Thanks @SSecret Squirrel

I have found an awesome IBCLC in my area, so if i have any issues early on, i think i will just get her out ASAP, thanks for that handy bit of advice @Renn and @Mamasupial

And sorry if i have the wrong person here @Mamasupial but one thing i have learned from you is that midwives may not pick up on tongue / lip ties and if you just know that your LO has one, to keep persisting and asking someone more experienced until you are satisfied.
    Yep that's me. There's a ties support bf group that has a file with recommended people to see to get ties diagnosed and revised with. I strongly suggest using someone from there if you think ties are an issue. My IBCLC does Skype consultants.