+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Breast feeding

Hi

Im just curious. Did anyone who couldn't breast feed the first time. were you sucessful if you tried the next time?

I had supply issues with my first. I desperately wanted to breastfeed. I couldnt produce enough. LESSON LEARN'T. Does not matter how you feed your baby, it matters that you do.

I will this time start eating oats and lactation cookies before getting to the birth stage this time. I will do anything to help get a good supply.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Mee!!! DD1 wouldn't latch so I expressed. My supply died at 10w.

This time DD2 is 6 months and only has a bottle of EBM at childcare. I used the cookies, oats, poweraid, coconut water. I took motilium, fenugreek and blessed thistle. I also tried a supply line. I use a spectra s1 pump.

What really made the difference though was getting a truly amazing private lactation consultant and getting her lip/tongue and buccal ties lasered.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Oh and powerpumping is great for your supply too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    And I expressed colostrum before Bub was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I breastfed both, but had a really tough time the first time around. The biggest thing for me was being a lot better informed the second time around.

There are a lot of myths and misinformation around when it comes to breastfeeding.

I'd suggest you get yourself a good support network. Let them know what you do/do not want to do and how they can support you. I'd also suggest joining he Facebook page "breastfeeders in Australia', and attempting to find an IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant) in your area to consult when you need it.

So often the difference between meeting your goals and not is in the support and information from those around you... It's so hard without that!

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had major supply issues with my first and ended up comping with formula from 6 weeks.

Second time around everything just clicked. My milk came in quickly, DD fed like a champ from day one and gained weight well.

I didn't really do anything differently the second time round. I guess as an experienced mum I had more realistic expectations about life with a newborn and didn't try to rush feeds. DD had a good latch from day one which helped a lot. I also think my body knew what it was doing second time around as well.

Oh actually now I think about it I did keep DD on one side until I hit hindmilk. I don't think that is recommended anymore though. I also joined the ABA and went along to meetings. More for the social aspect but I think just being around other breastfeeding mums made a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you want to start investigating local lactation consultants, there are lists and web links in this section of the directory - http://www.bubhub.com.au/directory/f...n-consultants/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-bubhub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not me but a friend of mine.
    First baby she had terrible cracked nipples. Her baby had to spend time in the crib for jaundice and I think her whole experience was mismanaged from the start
    She was able to successfully feed her second son.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread OP. Subbing but also wanting to ask some of my own questions, i hope thats ok ☺

- Does having a c-section affect your chances of breastfeeding?

- Does being induced affect your chances?

- Does immediate and extended skin to skin following the birth help?

- Does expressing colostrum before hand help?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does having a c-section affect your chances of breastfeeding?
    I had a c/s with my fourth child and had no issues breastfeeding.

Does being induced affect your chances?
    Not sure. I was put on a syntocinon drip during my first labour as it wasn't progressing. I had difficulties breastfeeding, but I don't think it was related to drugs in labour. I attribute my breastfeeding difficulties with my first child to my inexperience and him having silent reflux.

Does immediate and extended skin to skin following the birth help?
    My second child was born blue not breathing and needed urgent medical attention. I didn't get to hold her until she was okay. Didn't affect our breastfeeding relationship.

Similarly, my fourth child was premature and I didn't get to hold her until she was a couple of days old. I had no issues breastfeeding her, although I do know a lot of prem mums do experience difficulty.

Does expressing colostrum before hand help?
    I never did this so can't comment.

ETA while things like skin to skin immediately after birth and possibly expressing colostrum are nice to haves, I don't think they are essentials in establishing breastfeeding.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 01-03-2017 at 16:39.