+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    i think a child has the right to know their biological roots - medical info, culture, ancestry, etc all can become really important as adults. Also, good to know about any biological siblings - I've heard stories of two people being drawn to each other, dating, and getting married, only to find out later on that they are siblings. It's their rigt to know this earlier on.

That being said... if someone has donated sperm/ eggs under the notion that it is and will always be anonymous, I can see how they entered into an agreeement, and that agreement should stand - I dont know the legalities of trying to change something like that.
    Thats what I wonder. Its a legal mind field. They would hope that someone doesn't have access to loads of money otherwise there could be a lawsuit on victorias hands.

If its to find out about medical issues then why does names have to be involved. If thats the real reason for this move then why disclose everything.

These people donated at a time it was anonymous and this should remain so. Why without their permission? My clinic contacted everyone and asked them if they would mind to remain on the books as a known donor and most declined. I would think that this way would be the most appropriate way.

It is more appropriate to contact the donors and ask what information they are willing to allow to be given rather than wham bam even if you do not consent there will be full disclosure.

That there is a legal problem a huge one. In NSW they have to have consented to this. Oh my gosh thats a huge legal headache if someone should so wish to take it up in victoria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Why no names?
    Because if the point is to know if there are genetic problems such as the highlighted case of the lady with bowel cancer then why is there a need? Especially when these people donated at a time when it was anonymous and they entered into an agreement for it to be anonymous. The legalities of this is huge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    Previous to this new law being passed, children conceived after 1998 via sperm or egg donation were always able to access their donor's information when they turned 18. I also believe those conceived from 1988 up to 1998 were able to request it. All this new legislation does is level the playing field for those born prior to those dates.

To be honest, I actually think the child's right to know their heritage outweighs the donor's rights to anonymity. The donor will still retain the right to have no contact should they wish, so all that's being changed is access to basic identifying details. These children will be able to form a sense of self based on family and medical history, which is so important.

It's all about putting the needs of the child first and foremost, which I actually think should be the case whether that child was created 'naturally' or by other means (donation.)
    I agree with this 100%.

I do feel for the donors who have donated under anonymity, but I guess for me the right for a child to know their genetic and cultural heritage information outweighs the rights of the donor. The child has no choice in the way they were conceived, but they should have control over the information they are able to access once they are 18.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Why no names?

Do i remember correctly that your child is donor conceived, or am i mixed up with someone else? Wouldn't you want your child to be able to find out the donor's identity if it's important to them?
    The OP doesn't have children (if her bio/signature is correct).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As for the question...I'm torn between the issue of a broken promise to the donor and the donor-conceived child having the right to know their genetic heritage. Prior to the latest laws, donors were promised that they would remain anonymous.

Are the laws similar for adoption? My DP was adopted at birth and has no idea who his biological father is. His biological mother only just recently (in the last few years) lifted the restrictions on contact, so he at least knows her name and a few other details about a sibling.

If they change the egg and sperm donation laws it's only fair that adoption laws are the same, IMO (if they aren't already; I have no idea what they are).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    As for the question...I'm torn between the issue of a broken promise to the donor and the donor-conceived child having the right to know their genetic heritage. Prior to the latest laws, donors were promised that they would remain anonymous.

Are the laws similar for adoption? My DP was adopted at birth and has no idea who his biological father is. His biological mother only just recently (in the last few years) lifted the restrictions on contact, so he at least knows her name and a few other details about a sibling.

If they change the egg and sperm donation laws it's only fair that adoption laws are the same, IMO (if they aren't already; I have no idea what they are).
    I can only speak about NSW adoption laws (I am also adopted).

At 18 you can apply for your identifying details e.g original adoption paperwork, original birth certificate and mother's marriage certificate. The birth father's information can only be released if he signed the adoption paperwork. The father's name can be released if it is in the DOCS files, but you have to sign a stat dec that you won't contact him (contact has to be made by DOCS, if they think it is the right thing).

NSW both parties can put a contact veto on their names which means that you can access the identifying information but it is against the law to make contact.

Adoption laws change from time to time as well.

I don't know the donor laws in either NSW or the adoption laws in VIC.

I think it is pretty easy just don't lie...don't lie to an adopted or donor conceived child....don't lie about giving a child up for adoption or donating sperm or eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regarding the legal issues of releasing donor information, I've never seen what paperwork sperm donors are asked to sign prior to donation, but my bet would be that they would have signed something.

So I wonder if maybe there are some sort of clauses within those contracts which absolves the Government of any wrongdoing in releasing such data if the laws should change in the future? I just can't see them opening themselves up to litigation so easily....? Would be interesting to find out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    Regarding the legal issues of releasing donor information, I've never seen what paperwork sperm donors are asked to sign prior to donation, but my bet would be that they would have signed something.

So I wonder if maybe there are some sort of clauses within those contracts which absolves the Government of any wrongdoing in releasing such data if the laws should change in the future? I just can't see them opening themselves up to litigation so easily....? Would be interesting to find out!
    Yes, there would surely have to have been something, one would think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (02-03-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    while I certainly feel for donor's who were promised anonymity ... I do think its a child's right to know who their biological parents are.

They donated sperm knowing that it was possible a child would be created. They didnt give blood or money or loan a friend a car .... they made it possible to create a life.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-03-2017),Blossom74  (02-03-2017),misskittyfantastico  (02-03-2017),PomPoms  (02-03-2017)