+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thumbs down VIC to release identities

Hi,

What do you all think of this in the news? Victoria is releasing all the identities of anyone who donated donor sperm or eggs even if they donated when it was anonymous.

I personally believe this to be wrong. These people donated at a time when it was anonymous. They should have to get the donors permission i would think. I actually think to get the donors permission first would be more appropriate, rather than say you don't have a choice in the matter. And what if some of those donors are passed away? What if the living family did not know that their family member did this. It may cause all sort of interesting family situations/events.

I know each child should know their heritage. But these people donated when it was anonymous and they should have the right to say yay or nay too.

Just take a look around when the laws were changed in NSW to known donors the numbers donating dropped dramatically. It went from 55 sperm donors on my clinics books to just 5. When they contacted the donors and asked if they were still willing to remain on the books only 5 said yes. Creating a shortage.

Shouldn't those who donated before disclosure also have a right to remain that way?

I personally think Victoria has gone too far. I thought they went too far with police checks.

thats my two cents.

Mysticfalls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD is donor conceived and I am thankful every day for our (de-identified) donor.

Whilst he donated under current laws, I fully respect the rights of donors and their privacy for those that donated when they could legally remain anonymous.

I agree about the repercussions if the donor was deceased and the family didn't know about said person being a donor.

Whilst I'd welcome my DD wanting to explore her family tree when she's an adult, I personally wouldn't want it to be under forced circumstances (on the donor's behalf).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @MysticFalls, i thought Vic already decided on this a while back? Has something new happened? Can you post a link?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Read an article now.

Did you see donors can choose how - and IF - they are contacted? Seems like there are serious fines if a no contact wish is ignored.

I don't think these changes would deter donors - it's identity release now when child is 18 anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Previous to this new law being passed, children conceived after 1998 via sperm or egg donation were always able to access their donor's information when they turned 18. I also believe those conceived from 1988 up to 1998 were able to request it. All this new legislation does is level the playing field for those born prior to those dates.

To be honest, I actually think the child's right to know their heritage outweighs the donor's rights to anonymity. The donor will still retain the right to have no contact should they wish, so all that's being changed is access to basic identifying details. These children will be able to form a sense of self based on family and medical history, which is so important.

It's all about putting the needs of the child first and foremost, which I actually think should be the case whether that child was created 'naturally' or by other means (donation.)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (02-03-2017),PomPoms  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard about this on the radio the other day and the reason given for this change is to enable donor children access to medical histories.
    A young woman died of stage four bowel cancer, her biological father had a family history of it. Had she known this she would have been receiving early screening for bowel cancer. Without the knowledge she did not and it was discovered at an advanced stage. It was her case that was influential in bringing these recent changes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well yes provide medical history but no names then.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default VIC to release identities

I think a child should have a right to know the sperm donor if they want to know them. After all, it is their biological father and it wasn't their choice to be conceived that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    Well yes provide medical history but no names then.
    Why no names?

Do i remember correctly that your child is donor conceived, or am i mixed up with someone else? Wouldn't you want your child to be able to find out the donor's identity if it's important to them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think a child has the right to know their biological roots - medical info, culture, ancestry, etc all can become really important as adults. Also, good to know about any biological siblings - I've heard stories of two people being drawn to each other, dating, and getting married, only to find out later on that they are siblings. It's their rigt to know this earlier on.

That being said... if someone has donated sperm/ eggs under the notion that it is and will always be anonymous, I can see how they entered into an agreeement, and that agreement should stand - I dont know the legalities of trying to change something like that.