+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default weight gain at 40?!

So, up until having my 2nd child who is now 7y my weight never came above 51kg. After my 2nd I sat at 57kg, had my third and was back at that weight within a year. However 3 years on I am now 40 and gained another 5kg! The weight is piling on and hardly anything has changed and I just can't loose it ! I manged to loose 4kg about 2 years ago but that only stayed off about 6m but this is really getting me down. I know it's not that much weights to some but I'm 12kg heavier then I was 10 years ago. Anyone in their 40's have success in losing weight. I feel liked my body has betrayed me and a I feel so uncomfortable at this weight. It's happened so fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not 40...but I weigh 10kg more than I did 10 years ago. Don't concentrate on the scales, concentrate on health and fitness. If you eat well and exercise you'll feel better and you will get results physically as well. I am stronger and fitter than I have ever been, the 10kg extra does not bother me at all. I assume in another decade I will have even more noticeable changes to my body.
    Last edited by Full House; 01-03-2017 at 06:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 40 in a few months and had my 2nd bub last year. My first nearly 10 yrs ago, the weight fell off infact I went from 78kg the day I gave birth to 56kg (unhealthy as I'm nearly 6ft) but I slowly put it back on but I took 5 years. With my second I went from 65kg to 82kg and I'm now down at 71.2kg some 7.5months later. It's a lot harder as I get older to lose the weight but i still look good and my dp isn't worried that i carry a bit of extra weight around my tummy which is normal are kids unless your a complete gym junkie who spends all day at the gym working out

It is harder I think to keep the weight off as you get older. Your bodies metabolism slows down which is part of life. In order to keep the weight off to a healthy balance we need to eat healthy and drink lots f water and less alcohol and exercise !

It's all just a part of life and our bodies will continue to change over time for the rest of our lives

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not 40 yet but have had a similar experience. Three kids, after the first two was straight back to pre preg weight in the 50's (kg) within 6-8 weeks. After third child, now 3 months later and about 10 kg heavier. It's just not shifting, I have this new bum and belly I'm just not used to. And I probably eat better and exercise more than with the first two! So I understand the feeling like you're not comfortable. This doesn't feel like "me". The me I was for 33 years.

The only thing that really drops weight off for me is paleo style eating, however I just can't manage it while breastfeeding. Could you into cutting out or down bread, other grain based items, see if that works for you? Just make sure you replace it with lots of good vegies and fruit and you'll still get the amount of carbs you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha ! Join the club. But I think I blame the wine I am drinking more of since the kids are teens LOL. That is my only difference of my eating LOL. I think I if cut the wine out, then the weight will possibly drop or plateau. But I also just think I am getting old LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as you're healthy I think it's age related!
    I'm 38 this year and am dealing with the same thing.
    It's all gone to my butt and belly.
    I've always been technically underweight and still am but I have a slight frame. I can't carry as much weight as my height would suggest.
    I need to lose the mum tum. My baby is 2 and I've been lazy

Thanks
    Reviews
    for everyone saying this is not you. Ummm yes it is. Its the new you. Embrace it your bodies were able to carry the gift of life.

As for mum tum embrace that too it carried life. My belly is jelly and my hubby loves it. My DD loves it she says she loves me squishy.

Instead of focusing on a number on a scale. Focus on achieving health.

Most people will put weight on in their 40's. Metabolism slows down. But $hit happens and if you are healthy and not dying from some disease be happy. Look at the glass half full rather than empty.

Can you walk/run/jog?
    Can your arms hug the people you love?

Yes ok...then hug the person whom you love and stop worrying about weight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm only in my 30's and my metabolism has definitely slowed down. I'm really health conscious too! If I went to the gym every day and stopped eating bread I'd probably lose the extra 5-10kg...but I like bread. And I hate the gym So, it's a choice! I love walking and working out at home but sometimes I'm just too busy to fit it in, and that's ok. I'm not going to stress myself over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. And I actually do work out regularly.

I find that I have to work twice as hard to keep the weight off as I did when I was younger.

For me, I noticed at 32 that it was harder to shift, and now at 40, it's happened again.

I think I make good food choices And exercise heaps to no avail.

I think for me it's just my metabolism is changing- my hormones in the past 6 months have gone all wonky too.

Sux doesn't it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure does suck!
    I wouldn't mind so much but as a small breasted woman my pot belly could easily be mistaken for a baby bump!
    When you have 6 kids already it feels like people are on the look out for signs of more lol