ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We home educate which works very well for her. She can focus then have little breaks as suits her. And there is no overwhelm of a full class. So she copes well and is progressing as a usual grade 1 kid. She has had different types of formal classes, swimming, gym, dance. She does very well when I am right there but not so well when I'm not. In the case of dancing, the teachers preferred no parents present and she had meltdowns and we had to withdraw her for now.

As you said bluebirdgirl it's only become obvious when being around more typical kids. She has a younger sister who is just developing so differently. Will go running out to greet visitors, watch whatever's on, loves new music, enjoys going out. Normal stuff.
    I think getting a diagnosis would be helpful because I could use some techniques in supporting her and reminding myself not to get frustrated when the behaviours are challenging to live with.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was like that as a kid. I had a ton of sensory issues too. I did ok at school but I hated going. I just preferred being at home with mum.
    Back then there were no diagnosis, I was just really shy and maybe weird. A sook I guess was what I was always labelled. Because mum was a single mother it was all her fault according to everyone.
    I would have fit into social anxiety with sensory problems and selective mute, had there been a diagnosis.

I still have my quirks but around my mid teens I started to grow out of most of the social problems. I hardly have any sensory issues any more.

We home educate too
    With a wonderful mum like yourself I'm sure your little girl will find her way.
    I credit my mum for always advocating for me and caring about my feelings above anything else for having much less of a struggle than I may have had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you that's very kind I have to admit I do find it a challenge sometimes, when she is super clingy or finding it hard to get to sleep for hours over sensory issues. But I also see a lot of myself in her. And I remember when I was a child, I always felt best and most loved when I was just being accepted by my parents or whoever, not being pushed to change. So I try to keep that in mind. It does seem pretty likely to be SPD or similar. I'll start with our GP in the next couple of weeks and go from there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (01-03-2017)