+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are the globes working? Why do they want to change them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In Qld globes are tenants problem. I'd be questioning that.
    And I mean all globes. We have replaced the oven once and it blew again. We haven't had an oven light for ages lol I keep forgetting to buy it even though I use it everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Landlord/tenancy question

The landlord is not obliged to fix every small thing in the property. They only need to keep the premises in a reasonable state of repair considering the age of the property and the amount of rent you are paying

The tenant is responsible for doing things like replacing standard light bulbs and changing the smoke detector batteries but I'll have to double check with my property manager because as the stove and range hood are considered an appliance and an essential item I do think you actually are responsible for the maintenance of those

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Are the globes working? Why do they want to change them?
    They aren't working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm actually surprised you don't have to fix it given it's an existing fixture. Having said that. my eyes rolled reading that. We only whinge when it's something big, and my DH does 99% of the repairs (bc our LL is so tight). If it were me, I wouldn't bother.

We replace all the globes and most of the time if repairs cost under 50 we just pay it ourselves (bc it takes said LL literally 3 months to reimburse us, not worth the hassle). Those globes are no more than 5 or 10 bucks each and IMO that's the tenant's responsibility. It sounds like you got PITA tenants
    Which is why I don't want to pay $40 for it. My FIL lives a 5 min drive away and could replace them for $10 max. The previous 2 tenants never asked us to change them - I assume they either did it themselves or just left them not working

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The landlord is not obliged to fix every small thing in the property. They only need to keep the premises in a reasonable state of repair considering the age of the property and the amount of rent you are paying

The tenant is responsible for doing things like replacing standard light bulbs and changing the smoke detector batteries but I'll have to double check with my property manager because as the stove and range hood are considered an appliance and an essential item I do think you actually are responsible for the maintenance of those
    Thanks for that, would appreciate if u could.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Landlord/tenancy question

I wouldn't bother with the "special" and I have been both a tenant and landlord at the same time. But I was never picky as a tenant though. For the light globes can your dad change them for you. When I had my rental any repairs my dad would do as he was up the road from it and a retired builder. The only thing he wouldn't touch was plumbing and as for electrical I got and still do get mates rates from a friend. My rangehood in my current house the globes are like $3 each so it's the labour that they are charging you for. I would think appliances are for you to change the globes but ceiling lights I would think are their responsibility

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    to be honest - I dont think I would attempt changing lightglobes in an oven or rangehood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rules vary between states. I would be checking directly with your governing body in your state. Obviously your managing agent should know the answers to your questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might be wrong as it has been a while since I rented, but isn't it the tennants responsibility to ensure all the light bulbs are working when they vacate a property. Therefore the RE agent should have ensured they were working. I would therefore expect when I move in to a property as a renter that all bulbs are working. They may want to protect themselves from the cost when they vacate????