+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    If I were the tenant I would expect everything in the property to work unless it was noted prior to signing the lease. BUT I can also understand where you are coming from, that it isn't essential. I guess if I were the tenant and the landlord started to refuse repairs now I'd be getting worried what that would mean for the future (I know this doesn't sound like the case for you as landlord, just speaking if I were the tenant).
    Totally get where you're coming from. And I want to be helpful and kind to them.
    But it's an old house. It's never gonna be as nice as a newly built house. I just dont want to start doing the repairs to find out that they've got to rip out the cabinet or climb into the dirty roof and find that the wiriing is all wrong and next thing you know, I'm out of pocket $500 for a 'nice to have'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wouldn't something like this be considered aesthetic? Like a garden?
    When I wanted a palm that was dying out of my garden here it was up to ME to get rid of it!
    The real estate told me to stake it up and hope it survived. It was just ugly and not going to make it.
    So I ended up getting rid of it though I didn't think I really should have to.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The tenant may be concerned that the light not working is faulty somehow and may cause fire risk.
    My understanding is that if it's there, it should work. If it won't work, it probably needs to be removed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    The tenant may be concerned that the light not working is faulty somehow and may cause fire risk.
    My understanding is that if it's there, it should work. If it won't work, it probably needs to be removed.
    It's been like that a while though?
    I actually just remembered that my downlights didn't work for ages here. My house is only 5 years old. One switch controlled two lights and one wouldn't work. I used to worry because it was turned on all the time it might short something. The real estate didn't care. It must have taken well over a year before they fixed it.

Wouldn't the house have been safety inspected when you bought it and the light didn't work then and it was cleared??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    That's a good point. Might speak to DH about that. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    It's been like that a while though?
    I actually just remembered that my downlights didn't work for ages here. My house is only 5 years old. One switch controlled two lights and one wouldn't work. I used to worry because it was turned on all the time it might short something. The real estate didn't care. It must have taken well over a year before they fixed it.

Wouldn't the house have been safety inspected when you bought it and the light didn't work then and it was cleared??
    I think so but not entirely sure. DH would know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, unless the tenant specifically requested it fixed on her application then as it is not essential and will not affect her rights and enjoyment of the property and it was not advertised as working they take the home as is , it's totally up to you if you want to fix it, they can't make you - I would get the agent to write a letter stating it's a decorative light only and has never worked and you will not be repairing it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    No, unless the tenant specifically requested it fixed on her application then as it is not essential and will not affect her rights and enjoyment of the property and it was not advertised as working they take the home as is , it's totally up to you if you want to fix it, they can't make you - I would get the agent to write a letter stating it's a decorative light only and has never worked and you will not be repairing it
    Thank you. Will suss that out but that would be my preference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, here's another question...

They want to charge me $45 to change 2 lightglobes - the range hood & oven.

To the renters out there- do you not change this yourselves?

When we first moved interstate we rented and we changed all globes by ourselves!!

What's the rule here!!??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm actually surprised you don't have to fix it given it's an existing fixture. Having said that. my eyes rolled reading that. We only whinge when it's something big, and my DH does 99% of the repairs (bc our LL is so tight). If it were me, I wouldn't bother.

We replace all the globes and most of the time if repairs cost under 50 we just pay it ourselves (bc it takes said LL literally 3 months to reimburse us, not worth the hassle). Those globes are no more than 5 or 10 bucks each and IMO that's the tenant's responsibility. It sounds like you got PITA tenants