+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Landlord/tenancy question

Hope ive posted in correct area

**Note: not trying to annoy anyone with this question - I understand taht I might sound like a 'tight' landlord, which is why I am posting, to try and understand not just my rights but tenant rights as well. Genuinely not trying to be mean or 'tight'.

We have a rental property in southern suburbs of sydney.
    It was our family home until we had to move interstate for DH work.

We have some new tenants who understandably are tyring to make it a lovely place to live.

Question:
    There is a downlight in the kitchen cabinetry. It sits under a cupbord and shines onto a 30cm x 10cm open shelf which is standalone/separate to the kitchen bench. Whilst we lived there, I either used this tiny space to 1)hold a vase, 2) keep some tissues/baby wipes/mail, 3) store some cooking books there.

The light has never worked, even when we lived there. When we bought the place but we found that no matter how we tried to fix it, it just did not work.

Previous tenants have never asked us about it (it really serves no purpose as the shelf is so tiny and has plenty of light due to its location).
    The new tenants want to have it operational and want it repaired full stop.

I reiterate that the light serves no purpose other than to give some ambience to perhaps a pretty vase (if thats what they have there, i dont know)

Do I have to get the light fixed? I can guarantee that it is not just a simple replacement of light bulb - it will be old wiring etc which I fear will cost alot to replace for something that is not required for light or safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Wow, that's honestly a bit ridiculous that they are insisting that it works, based on what you've described. If I were you I'd be so tempted to get the light fitting removed all together and plastered over!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (28-02-2017),Meld85  (28-02-2017),SuperGranny  (28-02-2017),yadot  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Wow, that's honestly a bit ridiculous that they are insisting that it works, based on what you've described. If I were you I'd be so tempted to get the light fitting removed all together and plastered over!
    It's part of the cabinet, so there'd be a hole there if we got rid of it.

I kinda feel sorry for them, they looked at the house which looks like a quaint little cottage and expected a 5star property. Kind of what I thought when we bought it.

But the rent charged is reflective of what the property is - a 45year old house on piers that has some faults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think you have to repair- have you spoken to the RE agent?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually think you would have to repair it. It's part of the property and it's not functioning as expected. I get that you think it's a useless light but I'm pretty sure it comes under property maintenance. As a landlord myself I would expect that I had to repair it. Sorry!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If this light has never worked, or just never been reliable to work, I would explain this to the real estate, and tell the tenants that you wont fix it. I would expect the tenants to just agree to that. If they make a fuss, I believe you don't have to do anything. There is no safety issue, or security issue with the light not working, so they just live with it, or move out. You are not charging an unreasonable rent, surely one broken light wont be the loss of the tenants. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always thought non essential things didn't have to be repaired. Including an air conditioner or dishwasher (provided it wasn't advertised as having either of those) I wouldn't think it needed to be repaired. Nor would I expect it to be repaired if I was the tenant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a tenant in Qld I believe that everything in a house is supposed to work. This should have been addressed when they moved in.

As a realistic person I think this is utterly ridiculous.
    It's not a light that is necessary. I'd be doing all I could to avoid messing with that.
    Tell them if you have to rework wiring their rent will increase to reflect lol
    The good old ok we have the info and ignore it for a year or so could work too.
    I wait ages for minor repairs here. And they are actually things I need to use.

What is wrong with these people??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I were the tenant I would expect everything in the property to work unless it was noted prior to signing the lease. BUT I can also understand where you are coming from, that it isn't essential. I guess if I were the tenant and the landlord started to refuse repairs now I'd be getting worried what that would mean for the future (I know this doesn't sound like the case for you as landlord, just speaking if I were the tenant).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't even know why the previous owner put the light there. Its just a pointless light.

I will speak to the agent and see if we have to repair it.

On a different note im so disappointed. The previous tenants moved out in december & the property agent said the house was perfect & gave their bond back. This was jsut b4 Xmas. Over Xmas we visited and the house was filthy and there were so many repairs that had to be made. Needless to say we changed agents.

Thanks all.