Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Coles sell Peppa pig cakes!
    So do Woolies, I think. If worst comes to worst I can pick one up at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've got 3 kids. I used to always buy. One time I decided to make a cake. After I spent a whole day just about making this cake (and it wasn't even that fancy) I swore never to waste my time again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bake. I sometimes will buy a cake to decorate for birthdays but I love to bake. I'm a champion baker at our local show so I have to practise during the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I enjoy baking so I will nearly always make a cake. I like the opportunity to try out new recipes so usually I will do something I know works and put a slight slant on it, like using raspberries in a strawberry cake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla View Post
    She wants a Peppa Pig cake for her 3rd birthday in June, but that's way beyond my capacity - especially with my poor fine motor skills and general dexterity.
    Cake toppers can save your sanity! I sometimes buy toppers and/or small figurines for the cakes I've done to make a scene, and they can double as birthday presents! You could also get a rice paper topper. I did them for cupcakes as between daycare, playgroup and her party, I had about 80 to do! Cheap, quick, easy, and they look good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I'm a baker and do everything from scratch. I like making the kids birthday cakes. They tell me a theme and I go wild designing it in my head and then try to make it a reality! I love seeing their little faces light up when the look through the birthday cake books, and it's a hot topic of discussion for weeks beforehand. DS is 7 and starting to be quite specific about what he wants and how I should decorate it. I think my days of coming up with the designs are numbered!!

I'm not great at baking with the kids though. Everything takes so much longer when they are involved. But they do bits and sit and watch if I'm making things. Though I do all their birthday stuff when they are at school so the finished product is a surprise for them.
    This is us, and it takes days generally.
    The kids have some really big ideas sometimes, my DD is 12 and she can really complicate things, but I love their little faces when they see it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    This is us, and it takes days generally.
    The kids have some really big ideas sometimes, my DD is 12 and she can really complicate things, but I love their little faces when they see it.
    I'm going to have to institute a rule they only get to choose the theme and leave the design to me I think. He is already taking about his birthday for this year (6 months away!) and his ideas are off the charts! Full on robotics with things that move - in a cake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For birthday cakes, I often buy a store bought cake mix (just those really cheap plain vanilla in a packet ones, not the boxed ones. And decorate it myself.

If I'm making a flavoured cake, it's from scratch.

For birthdays, I decorate with lollies and buttercream. I really don't like the multi-tier fondant covered, wedding cake looking cakes. So I make cakes that are like this.

IMG_1488328061.184077.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I usually make the cake. I'm a crap cook and seem to burn almost everything but I enjoy the decorating. If it was for a cake stall or similar I would probably make it from scratch but if I am going to spend time decorating I always buy a packet mix. I burnt the cupcakes for her class on her birthday and the kids were quick to point it out, (oh the shame), but then had kids telling me they loved my cooking and would eat my cupcakes every day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only bake birthday cakes, never for anything else.

and even with the birthday cakes I've gotten a bit slack this past year since number 4 came along I've been mostly buying. my kids are obsessed with the ice cream cakes and mud cakes available to buy ready made from coles and woolies - as in prefer them to any home made cake they have ever had, so I often wonder why bother.
    I have also bought the coles/woolies cakes and then just decorated them a bit with smarties and things, haha