+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Schools and preschools in Maitland area

Hi, looking at moving to the Maitland area soon (possibly Gillieston Heights) and looking for recommendations for preschools and Primary Schools for next year. Also schools that have before and after school care. I don't know the area very well so appreciate any information. Many Thanks
    Last edited by Tazza18; 28-02-2017 at 12:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a possible area of where we are looking at. Haven't moved yet but would be very interested in replies. so Im subbing.

Mysticfalls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    East Maitland Public School and Maitland Public School both have before and after school care. East Maitland is a bigger school, but I personally prefer Maitland. Mind you, I haven't had much to do with the school (or many of the staff or students there) in the last few years.

I've heard good things about Ashtonfield PS. It's a newer school, so potentially resources are not quite as numerous. But I know one or 2 people who teach/have taught there - seems like a lovely school. I don't know about before and after school care.

Gilleston Heights PS is tiny. I think a lot of the kids who live in Gilleston Heights probably go to Maitland/East Maitland, or maybe even Rutherford PS. I've taught at Rutherford (as well as the others except for Ashtonfield), and really liked the other staff there.

It may be hard to get your kids into a school if you live out of zone. I've heard that EMPS in particular has tightened up the enrolments from out of area.

I'm not sure if it is something that you're concerned about, but may be worthwhile considering which High school the schools lead to. I'm pretty sure Maitland PS feeds into Maitland High School. EMPS feeds into Maitland Grossmann High School (this was the one with the best reputation when I was younger, and even when I was teaching, though I think Maitland has improved a lot!). Gillieston Heights and Rutherford feed into Rutherford High School. As a high school I personally would choose either Grossmann or Maitland for my kids.

Nilo Infants and Bolwarra Heights PS have good reputations as well. I think that Bolwarra probably has before and after school care.

Happy to answer any other questions I can. Maitland is my home town, and I spent my years as a casual teacher in many of the schools (haven't been teaching for a while, but still have plenty of teacher friends I could ask for more info!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I did see that Gillieston Heights was a tiny school. We are not Catholic but do you know anything about St Johns?? I had heard it was a good school but not being Catholic was not sure they would take many non Catholics.

It is definitely something to think about which Primary School feeds into which High Schools, so thank you.

I grew up in Sydney but will be moving from Tamworth so don't know the area that we'll t all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know thar St Josephs in East Maitland is good. I don't know anything about the other catholic schools, sorry.