+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can buy dimmer switches for lamps at IKEA, they just look like an extension cord with a dimmer button on them, will attach to any lamp. We went through this when DS was older but we put that on his lamp with a 5 watt bulb so even if he wakes in the night and turns it on full it's very dim. He still sometimes puts it on in the night at 10yo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    I don't think I'd be comfortable with a 2 yr old having control over any sort of lamp.
    I agree, I'm not comfortable with that. I'm going to have a look for a wall light as a while back we had the power point moved up high well out of reach, so we will still be able to plug it in

3. The Following User Says Thank You to allatsea For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Just plug in a night light or put in a floating shelf and put a night light up there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @allatsea I'm glad. I allowed my 5 and 3.5 year olds to have a lamp in their shared room once. I had no reason to think they would bother messing with it because we had lamps before and no touching.
    One night however my son decided he was going to squeeze the light bulb. It was an energy saving one I think. He got cut. Thankfully not badly so.
    You just never know what they will do. I feel kinda stupid looking back but it had been in there for so long with no issue!
    As well anything that plugs into the wall is dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    Also, any sleep tips for when we prevent him turning the big light on/remove the bulb etc?

I know he will be hysterical if he doesn't have the light on & I'm not into leaving kids to cry themselves to sleep. However if we are in his bedroom it just makes the situation worse - basically there is no chance he will go to sleep if one of us is in there. He immediately stops crying & starts acting completely ridiculous - jumping on us, jumping off the bed, hitting the wall, throwing things, yelling etc.

So I can't sit in there with him, but I can't leave him if he's crying, but I can't let him sleep with a bright light on all the time. What do I do?
    Get one of those guards for the switch if you don't want that light on and switch on a gentler lamp so it's not completely dark when he stirs. Can you not leave the hall light on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We also bought one of these for my son. He can change it from red, green or blue. It's has a timer so turns off once he's asleep but he can easily turn it back on if he wants. IMG_1488277584.407799.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely not true that there's a minimum wattage for light fixtures. A maximum yes, not a minimum.....

- Wattage: Wattage is the amount of energy is used by a lamp or light bulb. If you will use a lower wattage bulb in your fixture you will have less light than before, choosing a lower wattage bulb is fine as long you understand that you are compromising on light output (this statement is correct only for incandescent and halogen bulbs). You should never use a higher wattage bulb than your application requires because it will damage your equipment or fixture.....

So I'd buy a cover for the switch, lower the bulb wattage and get a night light (the one holly suggested looks awesome) Problem solved.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-02-2017),JustJaq  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    If he sleeps better with the light on why don't you just put a lower wattage bulb in and let him leave it on or add a dimmer switch and use a cover.

Leave any light near his bedroom on, the bathroom was just a suggestion. In my house it would be the hallway light.

It sounds like you are really struggling with a number of things so if he is sleeping I wouldn't change much it will just add more stress.
    I agree with this. I think you are changing too much on him and you just need to leave some battles alone. The bright light isn't ideal in the long run but I think for the short term it is fine to just leave it on if it's the only thing that works until he feels 'safe' again. But, i am sure you can put a lower watt bulb in it or have a dimmer installed. You could also buy a red light bulb which won't stimulate him as much if he wakes with it on. Do that and let him have the light on if the hallway or other nightlight solutions don't work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IKEA has some Awesome wall lights as well as a cute night light that we use for our boys. It's not easily breakable (has some sort of plastic stuff over it) and safe as well.

We also leave the light on n the hallway for our big boys.

And as I currently write this, my 3yo is crying coz he wants mum to put him to sleep instead of dad. But dad won't hurt him, and he's ok. So I'm not going to disturb him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Thomas torch beside DS bed that turns on when you touch it. When he gets up in the middle of the night he grabs his torch.