ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will now only sleep with the light on

My 2 years & 8 months old boy recently moved out of his cot. He moved about a month and a half ago.

Ever since he moved though, he has refused to sleep with the light off. He will only sleep with the light on - we are turning it off after he goes to sleep, but then he generally wakes up at some stage during the night & turns it back on.

We have tried a few different nightlights but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

He can reach the light switch so there's no way to prevent him from turning it on

I think it's affecting his REM sleep because he seems to constantly be tired at the moment

Any ideas? What can we do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would get a lamp that you can change the dim on. Otherwise we also used glow in the dark dinosaurs around my sons room and also kept the toilet light on.

I am 30 and i hate sleeping in complete darkness at home so leaving the toilet light on also benefits me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can definitely try some kind of wall mounted lamp. I'm concerned that he'll continue to turn the light on as well though & then it will be super bright

I also hate sleeping in complete darkness, but I think our light is too bright - it doesn't take anything other than 100 watt halogen bulbs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMG_1488238322.668897.jpg

Buy something like this to prevent him turning it on if it worries you. I agree leave a hall or bathroom light on and add some glow in the dark stickers for fun.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Renn  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    Attachment 89080

Buy something like this to prevent him turning it on if it worries you. I agree leave a hall or bathroom light on and add some glow in the dark stickers for fun.
    Thanks I've been looking for something like that for a while, I didn't know they even made them

His bedroom is not near the bathroom, leaving the bathroom or toilet light on won't make any difference at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, any sleep tips for when we prevent him turning the big light on/remove the bulb etc?

I know he will be hysterical if he doesn't have the light on & I'm not into leaving kids to cry themselves to sleep. However if we are in his bedroom it just makes the situation worse - basically there is no chance he will go to sleep if one of us is in there. He immediately stops crying & starts acting completely ridiculous - jumping on us, jumping off the bed, hitting the wall, throwing things, yelling etc.

So I can't sit in there with him, but I can't leave him if he's crying, but I can't let him sleep with a bright light on all the time. What do I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he sleeps better with the light on why don't you just put a lower wattage bulb in and let him leave it on or add a dimmer switch and use a cover.

Leave any light near his bedroom on, the bathroom was just a suggestion. In my house it would be the hallway light.

It sounds like you are really struggling with a number of things so if he is sleeping I wouldn't change much it will just add more stress.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our lights won't take a lower wattage bulb. That was the first thing I looked into, but they only take a 100 watt double ended halogen.

I will look into getting a dimmer switch though

11. The Following User Says Thank You to allatsea For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You could also try a lamp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you can't have a lower power light I would probably take the bulb out. Saves him trying to rip any sort of cover off the switch or messing up with a dimmer switch.
    Yes he will freak when he can't do what he wants.
    Hopefully if you can find some light up toys he will be distracted.
    Kmart used to have some little night lights that were safe for kids to hold. What about some fairy lights in the room too?