Closed Thread
Page 8 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetty View Post
    I've just been reading a book called 'The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant' and she says the opposite of Shettles is true and there have been several studies to prove it. I can talk about it more after work but what she says makes sense

I really want to sway for a girl but husband is dead set against it
    Ah that's interesting. Would love to hear about it out of curiosity.
    I made peace with the fact I'd be happy with 4 boys but any more would be too many for me so I'll only have max 4 kids (2 sets as my 2 are older). I have 3 nieces so still get to buy cute little outfits and do cool hairstyles on a regular basis ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So did the OPK this morning and flashing. That's more like it! Cervix is open, relatively high and I think soft however I'm not good with picking that part. How long will it present flashing until it stays steady? My O is predicted for tomorrow..
    Last edited by cmwtc2012; 27-03-2017 at 06:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we have been having sex every 2 days but I think yesterday may have been ovulation (if it happened) due to cramping and bloating but the hubby wasn't into the idea of sex... hopefully his swimmers have been living inside for yesterday and I caught an egg.... I kinda feels good not testing for ovulation full on especially since I'm seeing my OB on Friday to talk to him about starting tests to see if I'm actually ovulating! I don't think we got pregnant this month but I'm just going to leave it and not test.. (well try too) I'm just so sick of being disappointed. This is month 5 TTC #1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofnumber3 View Post
    Hi! I started off trying for a girl... now I'm just trying! Lol I have 2 boys (12 and 9).
    What methods are you using for a girl? We started with shettles (timing) bud we're just not getting pregnant so I've adopted a "girl diet" after 6 cycles, I just want a baby
    Hey I'm following shettles however it isn't set in stone and I guess is only possible if you can pinpoint O!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwtc2012 View Post
    Hey I'm following shettles however it isn't set in stone and I guess is only possible if you can pinpoint O!
    I'm doing ovulation tracking with Monash ivf so I have about 6-8 blood tests a month to confirm ovulation🏼

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing ovulation tracking with Monash ivf so I have about 6-8 blood tests a month to confirm ovulation🏼
    Oh wow apologies I'm not to familiar with the process of IVF. I've heard shettles is purely myth however I said to hubby let's give it a go for a bit and if nothing happens we'll just go back to the standard way of trying would kick myself if I didn't at least try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah that's interesting. Would love to hear about it out of curiosity.
    I made peace with the fact I'd be happy with 4 boys but any more would be too many for me so I'll only have max 4 kids (2 sets as my 2 are older). I have 3 nieces so still get to buy cute little outfits and do cool hairstyles on a regular basis ☺
    No worries. So (and all of this is from the book I mentioned) the Shettles method has been disproven by 8 different studies, with the studies showing that most people did not get their desired gender using the method. One of the studies was the only one to show a big difference in gender results. Couples were told to only have sex once during the month. Half were told before ovulation (I think it was three days) and the other half on the day of ovulation. They used three methods combined to determine ovulation (OPKs, CM and I can't remember the third, but can look it up if you want) so it was pretty accurate. 90% of the babies born from sex on the day of ovulation were female. The author thinks this is because the egg by this stage is quite old, and male embryos are more frail, so if a male sperm does fertilise an egg this is more likely to result in miscarriage, so if a hardy female sperm fertilises the egg it tends to still survive.

If you're keen for me to elaborate on why Shettles doesn't work I'll grab the book. I have a cold and I'm curled up with the dog in my lap at the moment! But basically, the opposite is true of Shettles. There was a poor woman who was trying to gender sway after having a few boys, kept trying using Shettles and ended up with six boys. Then she had sex on the day of ovulation and finally had her little girl.

One thing she said about diet was that calcium has an effect, magnesium doesn't. She said you can take a calcium supplement if you're trying to have a girl. I did some research on calcium supplements, you need to get calcium orotate, the others the body is either unable to absorb because it can't penetrate the cells or the body can absorb very little. It's hard to get though, I've ordered some off an American site.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hetty For This Useful Post:

kylez83  (27-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetty View Post
    No worries. So (and all of this is from the book I mentioned) the Shettles method has been disproven by 8 different studies, with the studies showing that most people did not get their desired gender using the method. One of the studies was the only one to show a big difference in gender results. Couples were told to only have sex once during the month. Half were told before ovulation (I think it was three days) and the other half on the day of ovulation. They used three methods combined to determine ovulation (OPKs, CM and I can't remember the third, but can look it up if you want) so it was pretty accurate. 90% of the babies born from sex on the day of ovulation were female. The author thinks this is because the egg by this stage is quite old, and male embryos are more frail, so if a male sperm does fertilise an egg this is more likely to result in miscarriage, so if a hardy female sperm fertilises the egg it tends to still survive.

If you're keen for me to elaborate on why Shettles doesn't work I'll grab the book. I have a cold and I'm curled up with the dog in my lap at the moment! But basically, the opposite is true of Shettles. There was a poor woman who was trying to gender sway after having a few boys, kept trying using Shettles and ended up with six boys. Then she had sex on the day of ovulation and finally had her little girl.

One thing she said about diet was that calcium has an effect, magnesium doesn't. She said you can take a calcium supplement if you're trying to have a girl. I did some research on calcium supplements, you need to get calcium orotate, the others the body is either unable to absorb because it can't penetrate the cells or the body can absorb very little. It's hard to get though, I've ordered some off an American site.
    We have a little boy and we'd love a little girl! I do want to try to gender sway but I don't want it to absorb the whole process.

So take calcium and DTD on ovulation day?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default April/May TTC group chat

Quote Originally Posted by MrsKLM View Post
    We have a little boy and we'd love a little girl! I do want to try to gender sway but I don't want it to absorb the whole process.

So take calcium and DTD on ovulation day?
    These are the two main suggestions she gives. If you want to try this method, she says that if you're using OPKs, DTD the day after you get a positive. Also as I said, you have to get the right calcium. If you want to read the book (it's available on Kindle) there's lots of interesting things in it, it's called "The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hetty For This Useful Post:

kylez83  (27-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've downloaded a sample. Thankyou for the book suggestion