ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For those who are talking about the no sunscreen, I'd recommend having a look at the UV graph for your area. It varies depending on where you are and the time of year, but not a chance in hell I'd be letting my kids outside when the UV is 13+, even one day a week. Early in the morning/late in the evening when it's 2 or 3...sure, but not at that level.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (28-02-2017),Full House  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    For those who are talking about the no sunscreen, I'd recommend having a look at the UV graph for your area. It varies depending on where you are and the time of year, but not a chance in hell I'd be letting my kids outside when the UV is 13+, even one day a week. Early in the morning/late in the evening when it's 2 or 3...sure, but not at that level.
    I agree. I wouldn't not worry because it was just one day if it involved being out in the middle of the day, and if it's a really hot day we don't go out after 10am or before 5pm regardless.
    Last edited by Full House; 28-02-2017 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's been so hot in Queensland this year that I won't even let my 2.5 year old out until well after 4.
    Definitely need sunscreen on if you're going out before then.
    I think just take a no nonsense approach and explain what's going on firmly and calmly and put the sunscreen on.
    If a 2 year old is stronger than you and you can't hold him down something is quite wrong??
    I have to wrestle my daughter at times when she doesn't want to co operate but some things just have to be done.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. Brisbane sun is horrible. It is far too hot/sunny unless it is 7am or closer to 5pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    It's been so hot in Queensland this year that I won't even let my 2.5 year old out until well after 4.
    Definitely need sunscreen on if you're going out before then.
    I think just take a no nonsense approach and explain what's going on firmly and calmly and put the sunscreen on.
    If a 2 year old is stronger than you and you can't hold him down something is quite wrong??
    I have to wrestle my daughter at times when she doesn't want to co operate but some things just have to be done.
    I can hold him down, I just struggle to hold his arms & legs, prevent him from biting or headbutting & apply sunscreen all at the same time without help

DH helps with sunscreen before he leaves, but that only covers a few hours in the morning. DH leaves at 7am & isn't home until 6.30/7pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Let him put sunscreen on you while you put it on him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Long sleeve collared shirt long pants, bucket hat, bit of zinc on the nose and you're good to go? A quick spray with spray on suncreen on any exposed bits?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Long sleeve collared shirt long pants, bucket hat, bit of zinc on the nose and you're good to go? A quick spray with spray on suncreen on any exposed bits?
    It's over 30 degrees most days, a couple of weeks ago it was 37 degrees. I can't put him in long sleeves & long pants in that heat . It would make things easier if I could

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know, I'm in brisbane. My kids go outside in long sleeve rash shirts, some board shorts, bucket hats, bit of zinc on the nose, spray on the legs. Put out some water play, put on a sprinkler let him run through it? Sorry maybe you don' t have a backyard I'm not sure. Even if you went to the park you could take some water balloons or something? I think some outside play would be very beneficial

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    I can hold him down, I just struggle to hold his arms & legs, prevent him from biting or headbutting & apply sunscreen all at the same time without help

DH helps with sunscreen before he leaves, but that only covers a few hours in the morning. DH leaves at 7am & isn't home until 6.30/7pm.
    Lie him down, and sit over the top of him...pin his arms down by squeezing your legs and pinning them by his side, then turn around and do the legs the same way....pin the arms. He can not headbutt you like that. It doesn't hurt them (because you only use enough weight to hold them, not hurt them) and it minimises the damage he can do to you.
    On a 37 degree day I'd only be going out early morning or late afternoon anyway.
    Sometimes you just need to think outside the square...pack a picnic breakfast the night before and go out early. Just get dresed and go. Let him burn out some energy and then come back and engage in some quieter play around the house...then back out in the late afternoon before dinner and bed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (28-02-2017)