+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it helps, i put sunscreen on my 2yr old when he is engrossed watching tv ☺

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sunscreen is non - negotiable in my house too, but no way I would allow 2yo sunscreen refusal stop me leaving the house...even if it involves kicking and screaming. It's a bit like wearing seatbelts. My kids have all had to be wrestled into the car at times, but things don't stop because they are refusing to get in the car or wear a seatbelt.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Californication  (28-02-2017),Full House  (28-02-2017),gingermillie  (28-02-2017),HollyGolightly81  (28-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-02-2017),Renn  (28-02-2017),rosey82  (28-02-2017),smallpotatoes  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to wear out an extremely active toddler inside the house

Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post

We have playgrounds that we can get to. However, for me sunscreen is not negotiable - wear it or don't go outside. Mostly these days it ends up being don't go outside, which is why I'm hunting for indoor activities to wear him out.
    I'm sorry, that's just ridiculous.
    If you just give up that's not helping him learn it's a non negotiable.
    Plus he's still too young to understand the consequences that if he doesn't get it on you don't get to go out and play- immediate short term consequences at that age are more effective.
    If it's that hard buy a spray sunscreen.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-02-2017 at 06:10.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (28-02-2017),Californication  (28-02-2017),delirium  (01-03-2017),Full House  (28-02-2017),HollyGolightly81  (28-02-2017),ICanDream  (28-02-2017),Mum-I-Am  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How to wear out an extremely active toddler inside the house

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Plus he's still too young to understand the consequences that if he doesn't get it on you don't get to go out and play- immediate short term consequences at that age are more effective.
    Completely agree, there's no way he is putting two and two together that no sunscreen means he can't go outside. It's too long of a line for his little brain to draw. Pop the tv on and lather him up while he zones out. I would go insane if I had to stay inside all day with my toddler because I was trying to prove some point with a punishment. No wonder you guys are butting heads so much and you are struggling to deal with him. Do what it takes to lather him up (or dress him in light, loose, long sleeve/legged clothing) and go outside!

Swimming is also a good activity. Music class, sports class (they can usually start at 2.5), etc.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (28-02-2017),ICanDream  (28-02-2017),JustJaq  (28-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-02-2017),Mum-I-Am  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I've tried spray on, aerosol, cream & roll on & numerous different brands, including the brand he wears with no problems at daycare. I've tried making it a game, letting him do it himself & letting him put it on me. It's been far far too hot for long clothes, so I didn't really know know what else to do

I thought that was an immediate consequence - we are getting ready to leave the house, he won't put sunscreen on, therefore we don't get to go. That sounds pretty immediate to me.

Last time I attempted to force him to put sunscreen on he deliberately headbutted me twice in the nose. So I'm reluctant to force him as i then have to deal with that behaviour as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Indoor play just doesn't 'wear out' my DS like outdoor play. Indoors he starts to become Mr. Destructo and just seems so hyper. But I send him out and he just potters away - he just doesn't seem to like walls all day or something!

So I've got no suggestions on the indoor activities because they don't tend to help much.

For the sunscreen thing though. I do what it takes to get DS outside. So sometimes it will mean slapping sunscreen on a screaming, kicking toddler.

I'm actually a believer in some non-sunscreen outdoor time each day as well. Mum is super-fair so would cover up always but started having Vitamin D deficiencies that tablets weren't helping (plus the associated mood/sleep issues) and the Dr. Prescribed sunlight. I'm pretty sure sunlight also plays a big part it setting the body clock and helping good sleep at night. So for my kids I make sure that the most exposed areas are covered by sunscreen or a collared T-shirt (back of neck, nose, ears, shoulders) but for a 30 minute play at 10am I don't do sunscreen. I get them out early and late in the day when the UV is lower, as the suns rays need to pass through more atmosphere.

Another tip with the sunscreen. Can you set it up a bit like daycare? A big tub (even same brand) by the door and it's an automation part of the routine. Typically by that age they would be getting the kids to help put their own sunscreen on. I found this helped when they were toddlers as they could be busy doing their legs while I'd do their ears and so on. If you get the chance, watch how they do it as it's one of those things (like food) where they do it at daycare easily but not at home!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What time does your DH leave for work? Put sunscreen on before he goes...one pins him down, the other lathers.
    He might make the connection that no sunscreen = no going outside right now, but he isn't then making that connection that it means no park. It just means fun inside as well. What you could do is take the sunscreen with you, and not let him out or the pram at the park until the sunscreen is on. I used to (gently) sit on my oldest just to get clothes on at 2. Otherwise we would never have managed to get clothes on and I wasn't going to be a prisoner in my own home.
    From 3 I'd start to pack the clothes in the car...and then not get out to go to the park etc. until they had clothes on...it worked at 3, 2 might be too young though. You could try it and see how it goes (with the sunscreen)?
    I agree with the pp regarding vit d. I've uad a child with vit d deficieny and we live coastal and are always outdoors! Now it's no sunscreen before 10 and after 4....unless it's one of those days where it's 40 degrees at 10am...but on those days we just do our outdoor activities before 8.30 and after 5.30pm.
    Last edited by Full House; 28-02-2017 at 08:43.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the others. DS did not make the 'connection' or understand about sunscreen and what it did until the last few months. And he us almost 4.

He also hated it. Still complains about 'not getting it in my eyes' (his BFF's mum apparently got some in his BFF's eye).

At that age it was a distract/hold down method.

Usually he only needed half leg/arms due to clothes, neck and face. It also helped when I put it on me - he would sometimes help out.

As for outside and no sunscreen - I only do that for an hour or so before the sun goes down or sometimes when we get up. The sun is just too hot here to do it at any other part of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    What you could do is take the sunscreen with you, and not let him out or the pram at the park until the sunscreen is on. I'd just pin him down and lather him up.
    This is a good idea. They can see exactly what they want to do (go play at the park) and you can explain what they have to do to be able to do that. And if that fails, you can get quite a bit o sunscreen on while they are strapped the pram!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me personally, if it were only one day a week that he was outside with no sunscreen I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Long sleeve shirt, hat and we'd be off to the park. As some others have said some sun exposure is essential to good health. All things in moderation and all that...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zalimama For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (28-02-2017),misho  (28-02-2017),SuperGranny  (28-02-2017)